Idle problem when pushing clutch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem when pushing clutch???

How do I take care of this problem. Is my TPS off or something?

Basically what happens once the engine has warmed up and I push the clutch pedal my idle goes from 800-900rpms to 400rpms then it climbs back up to 700rpms. What's wrong and how do I take care of this? BTW I have a BP DOHC engine.

How do you adjust the TPS?
    92 323 with BP DOHC
    ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Uh oh... don't let Protoss get wind of this thread At least you're a fellow "Canadien." Maybe he'll go easy on you.

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
      Uh oh... don't let Protoss get wind of this thread At least you're a fellow "Canadien." Maybe he'll go easy on you.
      hey boston

BTW i'm just messing with ya.

Mike i have no idea what to say. there is the usual "look for a hole in the vaccum line" when it gets cold my sohc does that. The engine is obviously over comming some kinda of load. is this only when you are declerating?

TPS.. isn't that the screw next to your throttle body?
      Last edited by Protoss; 11-03-2003, 11:00 PM.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Awww... what a cutie pie.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss

Mike i have no idea what to say. there is the usual "look for a hole in the vaccum line" when it gets cold my shoc does that. The engine is obviously over comming some kinda of load. is this only when you are declerating?

TPS.. isn't that the screw next to your throttle body?
          No, TPS is throttle position sensor, basically to adjust this you need to loosen the two phillips screws on the black sensor that the 3 pin (manual) or four pin (automatic) connector goes and rotate. Basically what tells the ECU at what angle the TB plate is at.

The screw on the TB is called a idle control screw. That's used to adjust the idle speed, factury idle is at 700-750rpms.

I don't beleive I have a vaccuum leak, since it only does that when I push the clutch pedal only. I only see a drop in the rpms once the engine has warmed up.
          Last edited by mike323; 11-03-2003, 10:21 PM.
          92 323 with BP DOHC
          ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
            Hey Brock, wuts a shoc? is that a special edition bp? kool!
            Would you guys grow up!!!

Let's stick with the topic and stop deviating from the subject.
            92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

I might have some bad news for you. The same thing happened to me and it had me and my dad scratching our heads. Well it got so bad that it started making the car stall when I pushed in the clutch. We ended up draining the oil and we found a bent up thrust bearing in it. We took out the oil pan and stuff and saw that the crankshaft had been pushing against the block and part of the rod and had eatin it up. Well basically it ruined my block and that's why you see "Going through rebuild" in my sig. Lets hope the same hasn't happened to you. Btw... have you heard anything odd after pushing in the clutch pedal anytime recently? Because I heard something aweful, but passed it off as like a rock getting into my belts and just getting thrown around because it ran fine... but ended up being more. Good luck.
              -Robert
              '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoolinPro93
                I might have some bad news for you. The same thing happened to me and it had me and my dad scratching our heads. Well it got so bad that it started making the car stall when I pushed in the clutch. We ended up draining the oil and we found a bent up thrust bearing in it. We took out the oil pan and stuff and saw that the crankshaft had been pushing against the block and part of the rod and had eatin it up. Well basically it ruined my block and that's why you see "Going through rebuild" in my sig. Lets hope the same hasn't happened to you. Btw... have you heard anything odd after pushing in the clutch pedal anytime recently? Because I heard something aweful, but passed it off as like a rock getting into my belts and just getting thrown around because it ran fine... but ended up being more. Good luck.
                I think that's just coincindence... anyways, I have this problem, and I listened for a vacuum leak, and didn't find anything, but I'm not a mechanical genius or anything.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

on the topics of vacum leakes, how do I find out which hose it is? my buddy told me use a stetoscope (sp?) but I want a faster way. can I use some sort of spray application?

my protege does that to. its definately a vacum leak.
                  Current Cars
                  94 DX, 97 Corolla
                  Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

Comment

my car is doing the same thing. when at a light on flat ground the rpm's drop to 0 and almost dies. my friend's dad ajusted the screw by the throtal body and is doing better. i still might replace my tps sensor later (when i get some money)but try that it might help.

Comment

Originally posted by mike323
                      Would you guys grow up!!!

Let's stick with the topic and stop deviating from the subject.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

ok a way to find a vaccum leak is to use a propane torch. dont light it just open the gas bezzle. start allying the nozzle to suspected cracks while the engine is running. if you notice an increase in RPM you have found a hole in the intake. (you have just added fuel to the system via propane).

Hey mike does yopur DOHC have a 3 pin or 4 pin TPS?? i know on the sohc we have 3 pins and on the dohc there is 4 pins. just wondering how you conquered that poroblem.

PS i think i'll drive to MTL one of these weekends. i think i need to buy you a beer, for all the help you have given me.
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
                          Is this clubprotege's clown???

Seriously what was the point of posting that.
                          92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                            Hey mike does yopur DOHC have a 3 pin or 4 pin TPS?? i know on the sohc we have 3 pins and on the dohc there is 4 pins. just wondering how you conquered that poroblem.

PS i think i'll drive to MTL one of these weekends. i think i need to buy you a beer, for all the help you have given me.
                            3 pin TPS is for manual tranny and 4 pin TPS is for automatic tranny BP or B6 engines.

If you had the 3 pin TPS on your protege than use that TB on your engine swap. They both 55m TB plates.
                            92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Working...
                            X