Lookin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin...

I'm looking to buy either a mazda3 or a mazda 6, which is better and difference between? I know the 3 gets better gas mileage which i like, but I have a son and like the cargo room that is in the 6, i test drove the 6 adn relaly like it, but I prefer the mazda 3 body style but i like the interior of the 6, lol, I need help choosing which to pick.

In comparing the two cars, you'll have to make a personal decision about which features are more important and relevant to both you and your son as passenger. Since I wouldn't presume to make these decisions for you, I thought it might be helpful to refer you to Consumer Reports (CR) April, 2006 Auto issue where you can find comparative information about the two cars. Although CR may be a more general consumer-oriented publication than one geared specifically to the enthusiast, its road tests and ratings can serve as very useful guidelines. As a matter of fact, I bought my current '02 DX, the first Mazda I've ever owned, based partly on CR's recommendation.

Mazda3
    CR lists it as a Recommended Choice in the Small Cars Under $20,000 category in both the M/T and A/T versions. Here is CR's assessment of the car in the Vehicle Profile section:
    "The very pleasant Mazda3 shares its underpinnings with the Volvo S40. The standard 2.0-liter engine is relatively quick, refined, and sparing with fuel. The 2.3-liter engine is punchy. The slick manual transmission augments the cars sporty character. The 3 also has precise, responsive handling and a firm, relatively comfortable ride, though road noise is pronounced. Interior quality is very good. The rear-seat room is competitive in this class but the trunk is a bit small. We recommend getting the optional curtain air bags. Without them the Mazda3 received a Poor rating in the IIHS side-crash test."

Mazda6
    CR lists the Mazda6 (4-cyl) as a Recommended Choice in the Sedans $20,000-$25,000 category but does NOT recommend the Mazda6 (6-cyl) in the Sedans $25,000-$30,000 category. Here is the assessment of the cars in the Vehicle Profile section:
    "The Mazda6 is competitive among family sedans. The engines aren't as punchy or refined as those in the Accord or Camry. The Ford-supplied V6 is relatively thirsty. Neither automatic transmission is very responsive. Handling is fairly nimble and the ride is firm yet compliant. The wide turning circle makes parking maneuvers tedious. The rear seatback has an easy-to-use release to fold the split seats. It scored Poor in the IIHS side-crash test without its optional side air bags. A sporty AWD turbo model is new. Reliability of the four-cylinder models has been average and the V6-powered sedans and hatchbacks are below average."

Good luck in making your choice.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks. I think I'm liking the Mazda3 even better now. I like the gas mileage of it and I can sacrifice a little spare room for reliablility and better manuvering is conserned. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Glad I could help.

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

jeese, i think this is going to be harder than I thought, lol, I've been looking into it even more. I wonder if I can get a mazda 6 with the mazda 3 engine and and all that stuff, or get teh mazda3 with the body style of the 6...hmmmm..

Comment

Have you checked out the Mazda3 Hatchback? I'm not really familiar with the car but I'm guessing that it might have more rear storage space than the sedan with its relatively small trunk. Aside from that, the Hatchback should have all the other advantages of the 3 sedan.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Hmm, ehh, i really dont like how it looks, but that is an option. I've done some more research and I think I've finally decided, lol. I'm getting the mazda6. It's bigger, like the trunk, i like that, and th eone I test drove had teh engine of the mazda3, an 1.8 L even though it says it doesn't come with that, so yeah. hopefully it will work out. Thanks again for all the info

Comment

it MAY have the engine of the mazda 3 but i highly doubt it will have the same gas mileage.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                Mods:
                DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

I don't particularly care for the Hatchback either; I much prefer the looks of the sedan. Congratulations on your choice and I hope you enjoy your new 6.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Originally posted by coolmommy84
                    Hmm, ehh, i really dont like how it looks, but that is an option. I've done some more research and I think I've finally decided, lol. I'm getting the mazda6. It's bigger, like the trunk, i like that, and th eone I test drove had teh engine of the mazda3, an 1.8 L even though it says it doesn't come with that, so yeah. hopefully it will work out. Thanks again for all the info
                    Wait, what? A 1.8L?
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                      Wait, what? A 1.8L?
                      Yep yep, I didnt' beleive the fricken guy eiether. I was like wait..they only make 2.0 L and 2.3L, but no lower, adn he said thast what it said, i saw it, i was surprised adn liek huh? maybe they were lieing to me, lol. But thast what it said...of course I forgot to look under the hood for that, haha

Comment

I've never heard of the 6 getting a 1.8l. At least not here in NZ, they all have 2 or 2.3's.

The 6 is really nice to drive. One lunchtime I borrowed my managers 6 and thrashed it (just a little bit) around the airport. Alot more power than my Pro and really smooth gear changes (a tiptronic). Real nice. Glad you made your decision.
                        Andrew
                        1996 Mazdaspeed Familia
                        My Familia

Comment

Originally posted by coolmommy84
                          Yep yep, I didnt' beleive the fricken guy eiether. I was like wait..they only make 2.0 L and 2.3L, but no lower, adn he said thast what it said, i saw it, i was surprised adn liek huh? maybe they were lieing to me, lol. But thast what it said...of course I forgot to look under the hood for that, haha
                          The Mazda 6 either has a 2.3L I4 or a 3.0L V6. Nothing else.
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                            The Mazda 6 either has a 2.3L I4 or a 3.0L V6. Nothing else.
                            Oh ok, my bad, i thought I saw one or a few that said 2.0 L, maybe a missprint, thanks for pointing that out, but my point was just to say that they don't make 1.8L, lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X