Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.8L clutch and flywheel on 1.5L ?

hey guys
    i am still planning the 1.8L swap, but my clutch may let go before then and i dont want to put a new one in my 1.5

so i wanted to put a brand new 1.8L one as well as an unorthodox racing 1.8L flywheel in my current 1.5L

now i kno kris has done a clutch on his car before, and bruce has done everything on his car.. so bruce may be able to answer this best...

i know that the clutches are interchangable, BUT are the flywheels?
    would i be able to use 1.8L clutch and flywheel combo on my 1.5L?

i kno in miata's they do that with the 1.6 and 1.5
    and the Z5's are similar to the B6's in the miata

p.s. i jus finished rebuilding my Z5 head and got it driving again, thanks for the pic bruce

Im not 100% sure. I dont know if anyone is because in order to find out something like that, you just have to try it yourself. And clutches and flywheels arent exactly cheap enough were someone would spend the money in hopes that itd work. But if the clutches are interchangable then you would think the flywheels are too. I just say this because if clutches are interchangable then both flywheels would have to the same bolt pattern. If they have the same bolt pattern theres a good chance they are the same. Take the bullet and try for us
    sigpic

Comment

you know what, i will take the bullet and try for everyone!

i just have to make a deal with the place that i buy it from that IF it doesent fit, he wont charge me an enormous restocking fee...

if he wants 50 bucks or so restocking ill do it
      anything more im not gonna take the chance

but i still got a few months left out of the current clutch before i do that

ill let u all know tho!!

(if anyone know for sure tho, please tell...)

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
        you know what, i will take the bullet and try for everyone!

i just have to make a deal with the place that i buy it from that IF it doesent fit, he wont charge me an enormous restocking fee...

if he wants 50 bucks or so restocking ill do it
        anything more im not gonna take the chance

but i still got a few months left out of the current clutch before i do that

ill let u all know tho!!

(if anyone know for sure tho, please tell...)
        There's always Ebay and this site for those items that you don't return. You probably won't get the full price back, but at least it wouldn't be a total loss.
        -Kevin
        -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
        -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
        -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
        -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
        -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

I wonder if a BP flywheel from an automatic would work as a MT flywheel....
          sigpic

Comment

im pretty sure its a no..

from the best of my knowledge, they are different

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
              I wonder if a BP flywheel from an automatic would work as a MT flywheel....
              Nope. Automatics don't have a flywheel, per se, but what's known as a drive plate. It's basically a thin peice of metal on to which the torque converter bolts.

Note, that that both are interchangable mounting-wise (for instance, there'd be no issue converting from an auto to manual).
              -Kevin
              -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
              -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
              -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
              -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
              -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

ahh, cool

Comment

It depends on which tranny you are using.
                  remember
                  the 2nd gen 1.8L came with a G tranny in 95. This trannies clutch won't work with the 1.5L F tranny. The amount of splines are different. the 1.8L G tranny has 22 splines (I think) and the F has 20 splines. The flywheel for the 1.8 G tranny is also different also. It has some raised portions on the edges that the pressure plate bolts into.

Now the 2nd gen 1.8L from 96-98 came with the F tranny so it uses the same clutch and flywheel as the 2nd gen 1.5L in the 95-98.. So you can get that clutch.

I hope I explained this good enough. Only reason why I know this is because I ordered a 95 1.8 L clutch by accident instead of a 96 1.8L
                  Bruce
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

that explained it perfectly
                    and the unorthodox racing clutch and flywheel is going to be my next major modification

so when i get these parts, i will have a 1.8L compatible tranny (F) and flywheel and clutch (the new UR pieces)
                    correct?

all thats left for me to get would be the motor, harness, ecu, and....??

is that all, or am i missing something
                    i read in another post that you needed a jackshaft... but you also changed your tranny... would i need the jackshaft also if i kept the current one in the car??

are my accessories (powersteering and alternator) compatible?
                    and is there anything else that you had to buy cause ur 1.5 ones didnt fit (EGR, MAF, O2 sensors)
                    ?

thanks a lot
                    -chris

Comment

woah woah woah...
                      there are to many variances going around of my set up...
                      this is what I have .

F-tranny from my 1.5L
                      Clutch and flywheel for the 1.5L (same as 96 1.8)
                      1.5 jackshaft. (1.8 jackshaft has more splines, but I have that to)
                      missing one o2 sensor. (will take care of soon)

that's my set up... everything from the 1.5 fits, but remeber I did the harness custom and hard wired in the maf.

---------------------------------------------------
                      Been driving the car for the last 2.5weeks as I lent to 323 to a friend that c rashed his civic.
                      The clutch has finally broken in, the brakes are mushy but with the rear discs the car stops a lot better than the drums.
                      The car as tourque for days, the power band feals nice.
                      It does act funny on cold mornings though, will have to figure that out one day...
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

you just answered all my questions

the end

(probably not but ill pretend.. haha)

Comment

Working...
                        X