Turbo, BP Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo, BP Swap

Hey, this is my first post, Iv been looking around the site and looks good and the members seem helpful.

Two weeks or so ago I found what I was looking for. I was planning on building a BP Turbo Protege. Well I found a 92 Protege LX from the States with the BP in it but it was using the tranny that comes with the sohc motor. It also came with a really nice hood and a nice set of wheels but the Floors were shot and it would be more expensive to fix than to just buy another shell. Then I bought another Protege, A Canadian 1994 Protege SE with the SOHC Motor that the body has a good body but the motor is about to blow. Since I didn't have a tranny to go with the BP I went out and bought a tranny that came with the wiring harness, ECU, and he just threw in another BP cause it was taking up room and its only missing one cam. So here come the questions. How much PSI of boost can I run with out worring about the tranny and motor too much? Can I use the axels from the SOHC tranny? What else is involved in swapping over the BP into a car that origonaly came with the 1.8 sohc motor?

Anyways thanks in advance for the help
    Speed Kills, Save a Life Drive a VW

well welcome to the club man, first off, people are gonna get pissed if you keep asking FAQs without searching.

first off, are you sure your LX came with an SOHC F series tranny??? if the guy did put one on...it means you'd be better off swapping a DOHC G series tranny in, because the F series wont last, the clutches wont hold, and the axles...well they could.

and it all depends on the condition of your BP when it comes to boost, its not always about kms on the motor, do a compression test. if you read above 140psi you should be ok for running normal boost levels aka approx 10psi depending on turbo and CFM.

and no you cant use axles from the SOHC f series in a DOHC g series tranny, you have to match it... G series tranny = G series clutch, flywheel, axles.

hope this helps

JACK
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Campbell, I am on MSN and from the Lowmotion board also. If you have any questions, just add me to your msn and I will help you through it. I have been working with mazdas for over 5 yrs and am also doing a BP swap, turboing and g-series swap, only mine is in the MX-3, but I am willing to try and answer any of your questions that you may have.

Shop 506-577-6708
      cell 506-381-3503
      email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

I was just about to ask you to join ClubProtege, Campbell, Good thing I read this first. I also post on Lowmotion.

Comment

moved to swap section for ya.

Welcome to the club d00d. Post pics of your cars if you can.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

wow the internet is a small place... glad to see some more of you lowmotion mazda guys here on clubprotege!

Comment

hey Campbell, welcome to club protege, you will find all you answer here!!!
              2012 Kia rio
              2009 Nissan Frontier
              1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

Working...
              X