Whats wrong with Mazda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats wrong with Mazda?

I have a thing or two for Mazda. I know that 3rd gen Pros are getting all the hype and parts, but many magazines out there still down them due to having a lot less power and parts then other manufacturers. Other manufacturer use the auto show like SEMA to introduce such parts every year. Just today, another show started, and Honda/Acura, Hyundai, Ford ,Nissan and even Chevy and Pontiac all introduced decently fast and really fast cars. And eventhough, its only day one, and maybe my source of info has not updated their Mazda info, but Mazda has nothing to show for. No wonder no one would make parts for Proteges, thats because Mazda does not express any interest in it. Other then Mazdaspeed limited edition cars, Mazda only pretends to zoom-zoom. Anywho, tomorrow is day two, and new models are usually intoduced with 2-3 days, and maybe Mazda will show something. But today some really good models were shown, which I think Mazda will have hard time to compete with. Ok, thats it, my $.02. Check out www.autoweek.com for their SEMA coverage.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

The accord is pretty cool: http://www.autoweek.com/specials/200...onceptF3_4.htm
    Comes with a Greddy turbo system.

oohh...theres also a RWD V8 Ford Focus.
    INFORMATION PROVIDED BY FORD

Focus RS8

Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) used a sport-compact car to display the company's latest addition to an already powerful crate engine line-up – a modified Focus RS converted to rear-wheel drive and V-8 power – with the introduction of the Focus RS8 at this year's Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show.

Using the European Focus RS as a starting point, FRPP worked its engineering magic to mate its new, all-alloy, 5.0-liter 4-valve "Cammer" crate engine – cranking out a pavement-pounding 420 naturally aspirated horsepower – into the engine bay of the Focus. Although a handful of aftermarket firms have successfully mated Ford V-8 power with a Focus, the RS8 was built to show the versatility of a "Cammer" crate engine and "plug-and-play" engine electronics installation in a pure stock-looking Ford Focus.

The foundation of FRPP’s hot new 5.0-liter "Cammer" crate engine is rooted in the Ford SVT Mustang Cobra 4.6-liter four-valve engine family. However, the crate motor's flanged cylinder liners help provide 94mm (instead of 90.2mm) cylinder bores, creating a full 5.0-liters of piston displacement. And while the motor employs the 2003-04 SVT Mustang Cobra "Terminator" forged crankshaft with six-bolt mains and Manley "H-Beam" connecting rods for superior strength, the block itself is specially reinforced in the crankcase web areas for high torque loads.

Other key differences include forged pistons, an 11.0:1 compression ratio, ported heads, higher-lift cams and beehive-shaped valve springs. The crate engine also features higher-flow fuel injectors and a magnesium variable-geometry intake manifold, similar to the FR500 intake manifold currently offered in the 2004 FRPP catalog.

Ford Racing's new 5.0-liter "Cammer" crate engine comes with a stock SVT Mustang Cobra oil pan and exhaust manifolds, so an exhaust system – employing Ford Racing prototype metal-substrate catalysts and a set of Ford Racing dual-mode mufflers – was custom-fabricated to put the engine heat to the street.

One of the best parts about a Ford Racing 5.0-liter "Cammer" crate engine installation is that FRPP takes a lot of the guesswork out of the project by offering a choice of several length 5.0-liter 4-valve modular wiring harness kits that are created specifically to cover the most popular engine swap configurations. What's more, harness kits – which include the powertrain control module (PCM) – provide all of the necessary electrical connectors, including end terminals, a fuse box, a power distribution box, as well as switch connectors and fuel pump relays. The 5.0L EFI "Cammer" crate engine, including the wiring harness kit, will sell for a MSRP of $14,995 and will be available from the 2004 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog.

Completing the RS8's powertrain is a Tremec five-speed HD transmission with a Ford Racing clutch kit and Ford Racing prototype shifter.

"Some sport-compact purists will likely never escape the four-cylinder mindset that keeps tuners and owners throwing bigger and bigger bucks at smaller and smaller performance gains," said Davis. "But we would like to think our 5.0-liter "Cammer" crate-engined Focus RS8 will somehow force the kind of performance paradigm shift that took enthusiasts from big traditional Muscle Cars to smaller, modern-day Pony Cars."

One look at the RS8 would suggest that its transformation from a production front-driver into a rear-drive pocket rocket was a study in simplicity. But in reality, Ford Racing engineers had their work cut out for them from the start.

Beyond fitting the drivetrain, there was the challenge of designing new suspensions front and rear. FRPP engineers put together a prototype setup inspired by Kugel Komponents up front, and a rear unit locating a Ford Racing 8.8-inch differential while offering adjustable ride height using Multimatic dampers. The newly-designed rear-wheel drive conversion kit will be sold through the FRPP catalog.

Four-wheel discs put the brakes on 18x8-inch European RS alloy wheels, wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 ZR18 tires up front and 255/45 ZR18s in the back.
    "This isn't the typical sport compact modification project, but it sure will get attention out on the streets," exclaimed Davis. "With rear-wheel drive and over 400 horsepower, the Focus RS8 will make itself known at the drag strip and any road course. We're even going to take it drifting!"

Outside, the RS8 turns heads, thanks to the handsome European Focus RS styling cues and shimmering Blue Pearl Coat exterior paint treatment. Inside, the Focus RS provided the seating while Ford Racing chipped in with its Focus A-Pillar Gauge Pod and a full complement of Ford Racing Gauges. Also installed were a Harmon/Becker Traffic-Pro, a Sirius Satellite Radio system and Infinity amps and speakers – just to make sure the tunes are powerful, too.

FORD RACING FOCUS RS8 SPECIFICATIONS

Under the hood
    Ford Racing 5.0L "Cammer" crate engine
    Ford Racing 4V modular V-8 wiring harness
    Estimated performance
    420 horsepower @ 6700 rpm
    370 lb-ft torque @ 5000 rpm
    Powertrain
    Tremec five-speed HD transmission
    Ford Racing clutch kit
    Ford Racing prototype shifter
    Ford Racing 8.8" differential, 3.73:1 ratio
    Ford Racing prototype metal substrate catalysts
    Ford Racing dual-mode mufflers
    Exterior
    Focus RS (European model) body styling
    SVT Focus Blue Pearl Coat paint
    Interior
    Focus RS seating
    Ford Racing A-Pillar gauge pod
    Ford Racing gauges
    Harmon/Becker Traffic-Pro
    Infinity amps and speakers
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    Chassis
    Kugel Komponents inspired Ford Racing prototype front suspension
    Ford Racing prototype rear suspension
    Multimatic adjustable dampers with adjustable ride height
    RS 18 x 8-inch wheels
    Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 ZR18 Front; 255/45 ZR18 Rear
    Last edited by Marc93lx; 11-04-2003, 04:23 PM.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Well, Mazda shown nothing so far, so I would not expect any products coming for our cars in this upcoming year. Touche.

Comment

The Protege has been discontinued, and the Mazda 3 isn't out just yet. It just wouldn't make sense for them to have a Protege there, and they don't want to reveal the US-spec 3 just yet. So it makes sense to me.
        -Chris
        '02 Black Mica LX

Comment

Originally posted by cjb200
          The Protege has been discontinued, and the Mazda 3 isn't out just yet. It just wouldn't make sense for them to have a Protege there, and they don't want to reveal the US-spec 3 just yet. So it makes sense to me.
          I see your point, and I agree with it. But why not show just any Mazda? As far as I know, no Mazda was shown, and thats what dissapointed me.

Comment

turbonium.. im with you wtf is up with mazda.... they make dumb decisions.... like the 2nd gen. wtf happened to it....I think mazda forgot that they made it and didnt advertise it at all.... I mean there are more parts for the 1st gen than the 2nd gen..... how often do older cars have more parts than newer cars.. i mean cmon.. really *I SMACK YOU MAZDA WITH MY WANG!*

Comment

uh, there were tons of RX-8 parts and accessories, as well as the usual HUGE aftermarket support for the RX-7....

unfortunately, Proteges didn't get the recognition it deserved for so long until around 2001 when the MP3 showed up....

underappreciated the 323/Protege has always been

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

better than the second gen, the 1g is.
                and mazda forgot it because it was a stop gap car, in the depth of mazdas financial troubles, meant to help keep it afloat. the 3rd gen is what happened as the result of the sacrifices that second gen owners made in buying their cars.
                better than the third gen, the 1g is

Comment

ok thank you yoda

Comment

I just read a the bottom of the page on that autoweek page that mazda will be showing something

Very last line

Comment

Well, finally I see Mazda included. Mazdaspeed Miata is definately a good edition to Mazda line-up. I just think that Mazda should not only depend on Miatas and RX7,8s.

Comment

I think mazda should Buil a turbocharged mazda RX-8
                        Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

Comment

yeah guy its called the mazdaspeed rx8
                          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                          225.94wtq
                          torque monster!!!!
                          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by red90protegelx
                            better than the second gen, the 1g is.
                            and mazda forgot it because it was a stop gap car, in the depth of mazdas financial troubles, meant to help keep it afloat. the 3rd gen is what happened as the result of the sacrifices that second gen owners made in buying their cars.
                            better than the third gen, the 1g is
                            you can kiss my 2nd gen's pretty red ass......
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

you tell him bruce
                              In the Garage
                              Black 93 MX-3 GS
                              Bp powered
                              GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                              MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment