Mistake...connected battery in reverse polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistake...connected battery in reverse polarity

ok, so on my first gen, I was trying to replace the battery in the dark and with the stupid cold, i was in a hurry and connected the battery in the wrong order.

then i found out what I did and connected it in the right order, but nothing works; no dome lights, no nothing. is there a fuse somewhere thats hopefully blown or are the electronics fried?

Im stupid, I know. The cold can do that to you.

hmm, I guess you did turn on the electronics with the battery connected backwards. Fuses only protect from too high a current - but forcing current backwards through microelectronics is not a good thing that's for sure.

Although I doubt you blew any fuses, check them - they are under the dash behind a plastic cover

EDIT: Check the large fuses in your engine fuse box.

On a second thought, you probably blew some of those. However, there is a chance you fried the ECU and perhaps other microelectronics ... just hope for the best on that one.
    Last edited by Lex; 03-20-2006, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I did not try starting the car or anything, only opened the door to check whether the dome lights came on or not.

Right now with the battery, nothing comes on whatsoever. If the ECU is fried, the dashlights and stuff should still come on, rite?

Comment

Well they are independent of each other. Check those fuses. The dash lights and such are most likely out because fuses are blown. it's good you didn't turn the key - replace the fuses and then give her a shot

Comment

If you did blow a fuse, probably going to be a big green one in the engine bay fuse box.

although i beleive there's a good chance you fried the battery. Check it with a multimeter first, or you could do more/some damage again.

Oh, and buy a maglite

Comment

oh its finally fixed. the big 80A fuse was blown, so luckily just replaced it and its all working back again.

but now i have to set my alarm system once again, since it looks like the settings have reset themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
              Oh, and buy a maglite
              YES! Buy Croatian hihihi

One day you are born,
              The next big milestone
              you discover go zoom-zoom
              you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                Oh, and buy a maglite
                oh yes, i need to.

Also another question, with the battery being dead, the dei products lose all memory settings, rite?

Comment

no, they should retain the same state that they were in when power was removed. But fluctuating power changes or surges may scamble it's memory and you'd have to reset it.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler
                    oh yes, i need to.

Also another question, with the battery being dead, the dei products lose all memory settings, rite?
                    You have probably fried the brain in your alarm system they sure as hell do not like reverse polarity.

Pat.
                    sigpic

Comment

nah, it was all fine, just the settings were gone.
                      just set it up again and its all working beautifully!

Comment

Working...
                      X