93 protege sleeper project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 protege sleeper project

this is the first page of my project. i am basically starting out with a more or less stock 1993 Protege LX 1.8 DOHC. Manufacturer date October 1993.

Anyway...

this first installment will be of the following from a 1992 MX3 V6:

Lower COntrol Arms
    Spindles
    CV Axles
    Rotors
    Calipers

All of this is in preparation for the MX3 V6 coming this summer...
    i will post my progress - as i go along with pictures....
    ciao for now

p.s. my protege parts that are being replaced will be up for sale - as most of the parts are less than a year old.

nice to see more and more people are going V6! but i hope the mx3 K8 engine is just a mock up engine or something, because you really wont benefit much power increase over the BP.

JACK

good luck. have fun. keep us posted...and speaking of post....post some pics!
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

if you're gonna change all of that, why don't you just swap the whole subframe over?
      mmm wider track!

93' 5spd DX
      R.I.P

Comment

its actually the lower control arms that seem to make it wider - not the subframe - i held the mx3 LCAs up to the Pro's and sure enough - they were exactly the same except it was @15MM longer extending out to the hub - so no subframe was needed.

something else i discovered - the mx3 hub had a different bearing init for the drivers side!! both hubs came off the same mx3! it was wierd. when i get the drivers side axle then the LCAs go on.

the calipers and rotrs were exactly the same - they looked larger - even when i held them up to another Pro at the yard - oh well...still in pursuit of brake upgrade....

Comment

umm, learn something new everyday

93' 5spd DX
          R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by zzzoom
            its actually the lower control arms that seem to make it wider - not the subframe - i held the mx3 LCAs up to the Pro's and sure enough - they were exactly the same except it was @15MM longer extending out to the hub - so no subframe was needed.

something else i discovered - the mx3 hub had a different bearing init for the drivers side!! both hubs came off the same mx3! it was wierd. when i get the drivers side axle then the LCAs go on.

the calipers and rotrs were exactly the same - they looked larger - even when i held them up to another Pro at the yard - oh well...still in pursuit of brake upgrade....
            Very interesting information. Some questions though:

Although the subframes seem to be dimensionally identical. Does the Protegé subframe have the same mounting provisions for the: steering rack? horizontal subframe brace? (the thing that acts sorta like a lower tie bar)

So the Protegé and MX-3 LCAs are dimensionally identical with the exact same mounting locations? This would lead me to believe the aftermarket LCA bushings for the Protegé and MX-3 are interchangeable, but I don't recall that ever being figured out by most bushing manufacturers.
            My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
            - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

i havent gotten to the subframe yet - mike - but from what i saw (running back and forth between the two vehicles - it all seemed to mount up the same - but until i get in there and rip it up i wont know for sure - cnosidering that the LCAs were identical insize (except the 15mm length difference at the spindle), shape, and mounting positins - yes - i would say that they are - besides - when you change the LCA you can use the mounting brackets as well. which means the bushings too...i will be ordering some soon myself.

i will changing my LCAs tomorrow and posting pics as well. eventually, i will begin making videos to document this. :D

Comment

Working...
              X