Suspension parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension parts

Hey everybody, first-time poster here... I've been a member for a few months, but I've never posted until now. Anyway...

My girlfriend has a '97 Protege LX that I am in the process of fixing/upgrading. One of the things on my to-do list is putting on some Canuck Motorsports springs (from eBay), and some KYB GR-2 shocks.

I purchased some Monroe strut mounts as well, because I was hoping to assemble the new components first, and then just swap in the complete assembled struts for the old ones. The problem I encountered is that these new mounts do not come with the upper spring seat (hat, insulator, isolator, whatever you want to call them).

I'd rather not re-use the old spring seats if I don't have to. We just went through that on my Saturn a couple weeks ago... Remove old struts, compress old spring, disassemble strut, clean up strut mounts, assemble new strut, install new strut... Wash, rinse, repeat. It took so much longer than if we were just swapping the complete struts.

Does anyone know if these spring seats are available for purchase? If so, where/how much?

Thanks in advance,

-Cliff

I'm not too knowledgable in the suspension dept. but I made a thread of websites w/ 2nd gen parts. Maybe you'll find something in one of these sites.

2nd Gen Aftermarket Sites thread

Could always go to the dealer if you don't find anything? Post up if you do.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

I actually saw that thread before, but I appreciate the effort. AWR does have some pieces that would work, but they're expensive, and I'm a cheap bastard. Plus, it's my girlfriend's car, and she's not exactly into performance (especially not with this car).

I think I'll visit the stealership, and see what they have to say. They'll probably try to sell me the whole mount (probably with the boots and bumpstops, which I already own and have installed on the new shocks) for a lot of money they don't deserve.

In other words, it looks like I'll be going through the pain in the ass of disassembling the old struts just to re-use those spring seats.

Anyway, thanks again. If anyone else has some info, feel free to chime in.

Comment

I think what you are refering to is an upper strut mount. If you just want to swap a complete assembly, you need to buy all four (or two), to go along with your spring/strut combo. Its the part that keeps the compressed spring in place, right? If that is the case, just reuse the old ones. You would be lucky to find some on eBay or other online stores. Either way, they are expensive, whether you go to the dealer and get OEM, or aftermarket on the internet.

Goodluck.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I appreciate your reply, but did you actually read my first post?

Originally posted by DTDSasquatch
          I purchased some Monroe strut mounts as well, because I was hoping to assemble the new components first, and then just swap in the complete assembled struts for the old ones. The problem I encountered is that these new mounts do not come with the upper spring seat (hat, insulator, isolator, whatever you want to call them).

I'd rather not re-use the old spring seats if I don't have to. We just went through that on my Saturn a couple weeks ago... Remove old struts, compress old spring, disassemble strut, clean up strut mounts, assemble new strut, install new strut... Wash, rinse, repeat. It took so much longer than if we were just swapping the complete struts.

Does anyone know if these spring seats are available for purchase? If so, where/how much?
          Sorry to sound like an ass when I'm asking for help.

I'm well aware that I could re-use the old pieces, but I don't want to. I just went through all that while upgrading my Saturn's suspension a few weeks ago, and would rather save time and bruises/muscle cramps just to save a few bucks. Now, if it means saving a lot of bucks, I guess that's another story.

I'm just trying to see if I have the option.

Comment

Well, then... My bad
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Just go to a juck yard and buy the assembly

Comment

Hi,

I'm a new member here and I need help. I own a canadian '97 Lx BP and would like to install a front and rear strut Bar. What brand did you guys found that fit "bolt on" on our cars ? I already ordered 2 and the bolt pattern was for 1st gen (4 bolts). A rear AWR racing 19mm sway bar is already on its way (hope it fits).

Thanks

Comment

Salut,

moi j'ai fait d'autre trous dans les plaques des bars pis sa fit parfait. Le plus dur, c'est de bien enligner les nouveau trou avec les vis des shock. moi je me suis fait un template en carton pour reporter les dimensions sur les plaque pour les percer avec un drillpress.

correct if i am wrong, but i think no strut bar are made for our car exept the mazdaspeed one (that is very rare like all the stuff for 2nd gen).

Comment

Originally posted by PRO*98
                    Salut,

moi j'ai fait d'autre trous dans les plaques des bars pis sa fit parfait. Le plus dur, c'est de bien enligner les nouveau trou avec les vis des shock. moi je me suis fait un template en carton pour reporter les dimensions sur les plaque pour les percer avec un drillpress.
                    |
                    |
                    |
                    V

Originally posted by PRO*98
                    Hello,

me I made of another holes in the plates of the bars worse its made perfect. Hardest, it is of good enligner the new hole with the screws of the shock. me I was made a template out of paperboard to defer dimensions on the plate to bore them with a drillpress.

Comment

Yeah I think you are right pro*98. The bars are listed for 2nd gen but doesn'nt fit at all. If nobody else post here with a magical solution, I'll have to drill . The thing is there is so much custom work to do on this car to make it competitive, when you get a bolt on part you jump on it ! Thanks for the quick reply.

Oh I'll stick to my bad english so everybody else can follow the thread

If you know any other part that fit bolt on (except shock and springs), please let me know.

Comment

STB Front:

-Mazda OEM front strut tower bar for the Lantis Type-R
                        -Mazdaspeed
                        -Whiteline
                        -Cusco

STB Rear:

There is no bolt on rear bar for the Protege because there is no access to the rear strut towers due to the design of the sedan. If you really want a rear strut tower bar, you will need to remove some metal with either a hole saw or some other cutting tool.

If you want, these are some bars that might work with a little modification:

-Mazda Lantis Type R factory rear strut tower bar
                        -RSR rear stb for the Lantis and Neo
                        -I think Whiteline has a rear bar available too for the Lantis (you'll have to check for sure)

ARB Rear:

-Mazdaspeed
                        -Whiteline
                        -AWR
                        (I know I'm missing a few here...?)
                        Some bars for the 3rd gen Protege are said to fit also therefore:
                        (I think) Adco and a few more might work.

Search, Search. Search. Read up on Astina GT and some of the UK 323F forums to see what is available for similar chassis.
                        1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

The Mazda OEM front strut tower bar for the Lantis Type-R sorta bolts in. However one of the holes for the bolts doesn't quite go round. Why they didn't make the Lantis and Protege holes line up is a mystery. Also the plates are a bit bigger on the Protege so it bends a little when bolting it down. If you do mod this to fit properly it's one of the strongest bars you can get because it's fully welded at the joins. I just got my RS-R springs installed along with my Type R Lantis front strut bar today.
                          Last edited by 96Familia; 05-09-2006, 01:53 AM.
                          Andrew
                          1996 Mazdaspeed Familia
                          My Familia

Comment

Working...
                          X