OBDII cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBDII cable

does anyone know where to buy just an OBDII cable with a serial port on the other end... I cant find any on the net where its just the cable and not a lil device taht read engine errors also

OBDLink scan tools, app, and diagnostic software, designed for iPhone, Android and Windows. Diagnose and erase trouble codes, measure performance, and more.

im actualyl going to build an obd-ii connector based on scantool's schematic and using it with my carputer :;
    2003 P5 Midnight Blue
    Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
    OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
    Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
    sun ground kit
    5spd sunroof
    Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
    7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
    power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
    6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

Sorry for what's probably a stupid question, but what's an OBD-II cable and what do you use it for?

Comment

OK, I feel like an idiot now... I read those linked pages after I asked my question. So scratch that last question but I have a different one now -- where does the cable hook up, and can it be used to monitor information in real time or is it just for reviewing stuff later?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
          OK, I feel like an idiot now... I read those linked pages after I asked my question. So scratch that last question but I have a different one now -- where does the cable hook up, and can it be used to monitor information in real time or is it just for reviewing stuff later?
          the cable hooks up to your obd-2 connector which i believe is by the steering column. . .you can use ti to monitor all your stats coming off of the ecu in REAL time. . .pretty cool...essentially you can set up a digital dash on whatever screen you are using. .thats what i plan to do
          2003 P5 Midnight Blue
          Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
          sun ground kit
          5spd sunroof
          7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
          6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

OK, add that in to my plans... for sometime

Comment

Originally posted by traitorhound
              the cable hooks up to your obd-2 connector which i believe is by the steering column. . .you can use ti to monitor all your stats coming off of the ecu in REAL time. . .pretty cool...essentially you can set up a digital dash on whatever screen you are using. .thats what i plan to do
              I'm doing that right now.

scantool.net is the place to be. It's not quite as simple as an OBD to serial cable. There needs to be some brains in between to translate the signals, but you can buy everything you need from scantool.net for under $100.

Their software is OK but not great, but the cool thing is that you can write you own to do whatever you want.
              '02 Black Protege5
              '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

Originally posted by dewey
                I'm doing that right now.

scantool.net is the place to be. It's not quite as simple as an OBD to serial cable. There needs to be some brains in between to translate the signals, but you can buy everything you need from scantool.net for under $100.

Their software is OK but not great, but the cool thing is that you can write you own to do whatever you want.
                yea i know. .when i have like 30 bux extra to spare im going to build the circuit from thier schematic. . i see no point in buying somethign they give you all the info for to build yourself
                2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                sun ground kit
                5spd sunroof
                7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

basically im doing the same except its going to go into a tv in the visor on my side and be hooked through my laptop so I have my digital gauges right there in front of me instead off to the side. but this was the software im going to be using

Comment

sweet. . ..let me know how that goes. ..lol i havne't been doing the obd stuff yet since ive been playing with gps lately. . it's cool taking these weird ass roads taht end up being shorter than the regular route that i used to take
                    2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                    sun ground kit
                    5spd sunroof
                    7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                    6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                      basically im doing the same except its going to go into a tv in the visor on my side and be hooked through my laptop so I have my digital gauges right there in front of me instead off to the side. but this was the software im going to be using

Dude, let me know how the visor-monitor works out. I'm thinking of the same thing.

Do you think the sampling rate will be adequate to display lifelike gauges?
                      '02 Black Protege5
                      '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

i figure if i can use these thigns to watch DVD's on them than they better be able to move some rectangles around

Comment

Originally posted by traitorhound
                          sweet. . ..let me know how that goes. ..lol i havne't been doing the obd stuff yet since ive been playing with gps lately. . it's cool taking these weird ass roads taht end up being shorter than the regular route that i used to take
                          what gps setup?

This is intriguing. I am going to look into this as well.
                          My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                          JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                          AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

i have a radioshack gps that i got for 30usd. . .maybe you can look around if they still have any. . .they really made for pda's (i got anotehr one for my ipaq too) but for my carputer i had to hack a cable to make a serial compatible cable and then i bought microsoft streets and trips 2004 and im on my way. . . .i know where i am at all times and can take some shortcuts i never knew existed. . .it's pretty sweet
                            2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                            sun ground kit
                            5spd sunroof
                            7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                            6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

hey traitorhound on the courious side can ya post a walkthrough of the obd cable you will be building id like to it for my 1990 mazda 626 lx, i had my cable stolen, so a little help is grateful man .

as i was saying that was just a question but if possible plz post a walkthrough on building one (obd to serial port)
                              im true an blue to my car and her victims

Comment

Working...
                              X