Suspension?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension?????

Ok, here is a new dillema, just got done installing the rear struts (Tokico Struts for the ZX2 S/R and Eibach Ground Control Springs). I understood this combo would give a 1" drop from the stock (new) setup. It actually dropped the rear almost 1.75", the tires are up in the wheel wells, am I being overly worried since I have not done the front yet?, or should I get spring helpers to give some height back? See Pics:
    Attached Files
    This is my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/403088

well the struts are an inch lower than your stock ones, which is why you're seeing a near 2inch drop.

thats a mild drop, don't worry too much. you may need to trim your fender wells a tad but its not too low.

the front won't affect the rear too much height wise. just be careful for a while over bumps, potholes, etc. until you get used to the drop. after you get beyond the worrying you'll love it and end up like a lot of us pushing 2.5inch+ drops.
    Seth
    2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

People always miss this but umm the rear "wheel well" cuts lower then the front since its not round, etc. So really it "looks" lower in the rear but its not so much!
      **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
      95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by sfd
        just be careful for a while over bumps, potholes, etc. until you get used to the drop. after you get beyond the worrying you'll love it and end up like a lot of us pushing 2.5inch+ drops.
        4 inches here baby.

Comment

ummmm sorry to bring this up but the shorter strut will not affect ride hieght. will affect suspension travel but think about it if your spring normally is compressed 2 inches on a full length strut when under load and you switch to a one inch shorter strut all youve done is take out one of those inches only way for a shorter strut to lower the vehicle is if that strut is shorter than where the old one was while loaded.
          mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

hmmm

I would probably try to address that rust situation soon...but I think it looks good!
            Lookin' to boost my BP. Any help at all on this subject would be benificial to my success.

Comment

Thanks guys, that definately calms the nerves. As for the rust it's on my to do list, I have a few body parts to replace anyway so, I'm going to do he rest of the bad spots on the car. You know all the usual spots on the second gens.

I was thinking of getting some wheel spacers to push the wheels out and line up with the body, other than cutting the rear well a bit, do you guys think I would have any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by 91scortgt

I was thinking of getting some wheel spacers to push the wheels out and line up with the body, other than cutting the rear well a bit, do you guys think I would have any problems?
                Think about that for a minute...

Comment

Yes, Iknow the tires will definately hit something, all going back to the original problem of getting spring helpers to give a little lift.

Comment

Yeah, struts have nothing to do with ride height. Only springs effect ride height. Struts dampen the ride.

Comment

Ok, now the only other thing is what tire size will safely fit as it sits? I am going to use the rims of a 93 GT which are the same as the ones on the car now, with the exception they are true directionals.

Comment

well i have 205 55 r 15's on mine now and they fit perfect im not lowered yet but no problems can be seen from them. 205 is the widest i would go on the stock rims them being only 5.5 rims.
                        mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

The only thing I'm really worried about is the sidewall height. I cant go any taller than 4.25" or I will get rubbing.

Comment

205 55 are the exact same hieght as stock or within an inch or so but if your really concerned you can run 205 50's a lil shorter than stocker about .8 inches overall diameter. check out tire rack look up tire specs you can get the over diameter of the tires your looking at there.

Comment

Ok, got the front done, it did not drop as far as the rear, but the spacers are out. If any one wants them email me and let me know. Here are some new pics after the install. Thought I'd throw in a shot of my rims too. Sorry about the glare on the reflector.....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X