Epic-160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic-160

So I came across this little unit and got one for ****s and giggles, didn't use it for the controls just for the meter and voltage display... now I don't know if I wanna use the controls because I don't have an eq to go after it or can I just link it strait to my amp?

Either way its still kinda neat to have, to see your spl in real time and voltage, as well for tuning uses. I'm anywhere from 120-140dB listening to music daily depending on the music of course.

Also with shop comp time comming up, I want to get a new spl port or just retune mine if at all possible, whats a good frequency to get my box tuned to? any opinions? 45Hz-50Hz?
    The Car:
    2003 Mazda Protege 5
    - Injen Intake
    - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
    - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
    - More Goodies to come....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The System:
    Head: Pioneer DEH-P6000
    Components: Infinity Kappa 680.7CS
    Amp: Kenwood KAC-5203
    -
    Sub: RE Audio XXX 15"
    Box: Custom built 4.4cu. ft. Tuned to 27Hz
    Amp: HiFonics Brutus BXi 1606

the epic-160 isn't a very accurate meter, but it serves it's purpose. don't worry about not having an EQ, the epic-160 is designed to go straight to the amp. since it's the newer epicenter system, you get variable freq tuning, iirc, which is more beneficial than the old fixed system.

for SPL, i'd definitely tune above 45 hz. you'd probably want something in the mid 50's range and move the box to about 4" from the back of the trunk, facing the rear. also, make the port as large as you can. you might want to make some interchangeable ports so you can have one for daily driving and one for comps. or make a few for daily driving and see what freq you like best. i'd try 25 hz, 30 hz, and 35 hz for daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
      the epic-160 isn't a very accurate meter, but it serves it's purpose. don't worry about not having an EQ, the epic-160 is designed to go straight to the amp. since it's the newer epicenter system, you get variable freq tuning, iirc, which is more beneficial than the old fixed system.

for SPL, i'd definitely tune above 45 hz. you'd probably want something in the mid 50's range and move the box to about 4" from the back of the trunk, facing the rear. also, make the port as large as you can. you might want to make some interchangeable ports so you can have one for daily driving and one for comps. or make a few for daily driving and see what freq you like best. i'd try 25 hz, 30 hz, and 35 hz for daily use.
      Yeah, I don't know if I want to use the epic-160 for the epicenter part mainly because I don't know what the hell I would be doing with it.

I already I have a box with with interchangeable ports and it listed in the sig lol. Yeah I think I am going to have another SPL port made for tuning around 55 hz if not well 55 hz heh. I wonder if I can tweak the current SPL port I have to tune it higher and save some money. specs for the port are 3 1/2" x 13" x 15.25.

As for the DD port 30hz sounds just fine gets nice and low for sure.
      The Car:
      2003 Mazda Protege 5
      - Injen Intake
      - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
      - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
      The System:
      -

Comment

doh! i need to start paying more attention. does your current SPL port take up the entire opening you have for the port?

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
          doh! i need to start paying more attention. does your current SPL port take up the entire opening you have for the port?
          No but just about, it can be made that way though. I just have to remove an extra piece of mdf and cut the opening bigger. I don't know if you can see where the extra piece is bradded in there or not because I used my camera phone. I am starting to think just starting fresh is a better idea. I could actually make this myself if I get some calculations done I think.
          Attached Files
          The Car:
          2003 Mazda Protege 5
          - Injen Intake
          - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
          - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
          The System:
          -

Comment

for the few pieces that need to be cut to make a new port, i'd just start fresh. what kind of calculations do you need? just the port area and length?

Comment

Yeah I thought so, and yes I think those are the only calculations I need, because the outer dimensions to slide in the port will obviously be the same.
              The Car:
              2003 Mazda Protege 5
              - Injen Intake
              - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
              - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
              The System:
              -

Comment

is 3.52 cu ft before port and driver displacement?

Comment

Working...
                X