Is $5000 enough for a GTR swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is $5000 enough for a GTR swap?

Ive aquired $5000 luckily, and was wondering if anyone that has done the GTR or GTX swap, is that enough to do the swap completely? The only real thing that Im gonna have a shop do would be drop the engine in because I dont have a garage right now. Maybe tuning to, but everything else I will do my self (guages, piping, i/c etc) is $5000 enough? Thanks
    Eat ****.

Depends.

(i dislike vague questions....they irritate me)
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

how is it vague? Its pretty straight forward if you ask me. From the past people who have swapped a GTR or GTX engine into their bp, did they do it for less that $5000?
      Eat ****.

Comment

Yes, it does depend on a lot of things. What exactly are your goals with this?
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

im guessing $2000 for gtx motor and dropped in, everythings pretty strait forward since u got an lx.
          James G.
          sobe83@yahoo.com
          AIM: DVS 323BPT
          MySpace
          Cardomain
          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
            how is it vague? Its pretty straight forward if you ask me. From the past people who have swapped a GTR or GTX engine into their bp, did they do it for less that $5000?
            ok...

intercooled? what kind? how much work is needed to fit this upfront if its a front-mount?

piping material? can you weld that?

tuning? how much? wideband? stand alone?

you're going to bend a downpipe yourself? neat...

going to do all new maintence items? belts? pulleys? tensioners? water pump? oil pump? new turbo rebuild? clutch? flywheel?

turbo upgrade? wastegate upgrade? BOV upgrade? fuel system upgrade? ignition system upgrade?

why don't you just rent a cherry picker from a shop? it'd save money.
            -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

and it's in the wrong damn forum too....being moved
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Its enough money if u do it right, GTR hard to come by and expensive. I would do it all myself if i were u if u have 5 grand u can afford a 200 dollar engine hoist. Jon

Comment

Let's see. Here's some, not all, of the things you'll need to buy:
                  GTR motor 2000
                  Engine management 1000
                  proper fuel pump 100
                  proper clutch 350
                  Used intercooler 250
                  Piping/ connectors 100
                  Downpipe 150
                  BOV 100

That alone puts you a little over the 4k mark and that is before installing the motor and tuning it to run properly. You'll most likely incur other expenses once you begin the project so I would say that you can easily go beyond the 5k mark. It's all about what you want out of the swap. A nice and reliable daily driver will definately cost more than a race prepared 1st gen............
                  '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                    Let's see. Here's some, not all, of the things you'll need to buy:
                    GTR motor 2000
                    Engine management 1000
                    proper fuel pump 100
                    proper clutch 350
                    Used intercooler 250
                    Piping/ connectors 100
                    Downpipe 150
                    BOV 100

That alone puts you a little over the 4k mark and that is before installing the motor and tuning it to run properly. You'll most likely incur other expenses once you begin the project so I would say that you can easily go beyond the 5k mark. It's all about what you want out of the swap. A nice and reliable daily driver will definately cost more than a race prepared 1st gen............

GTR motor 2000 not shipped 2300 shipped
                    Engine management 1000 more like 1300
                    proper fuel pump 125
                    proper clutch 350 not installed 650-700
                    Used intercooler 250ish
                    Piping/ connectors 100
                    Downpipe 150
                    BOV 100
                    Guages 200
                    Replacing gaskets and such 300
                    slim fan 50
                    exhaust 300
                    shop to install it all 1500-2000

You will also need a laptop to tune the haltech . You best bet would be to get a GTX front clip or motor and use the gtx ecu and install it all yourself

Comment

first off these prices are based on different things u can get stuff off ebay or from j/y for less and u can asstually use different parts
                      a couple weeks ago i saw a gtr front clip for 1900 shipped on ebay and u can get intercoolers from other cars nad use them too so dont always think 5000 wont be enuff cause u can always start searchin and it ll save alot of money
                      i is dumb

Comment

i could do the swap for 5000, but he doesnt wanna do the work

Comment

WTF you dont NEED a EMS!!

Invest in the GTR/GTX ECU. there 700 bucks at corksport. **** a $1300 EMS! you dont need it unless you are going for a track car.

And what are your plans? FMIC? stock? 180whp? daily driver/ track car???

you got to be more specfic here
                          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                          So his engine he goosed
                          With much too much boost,
                          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss

Invest in the GTR/GTX ECU. there 700 bucks at corksport. **** a $1300 EMS! you dont need it unless you are going for a track car.

And what are your plans? FMIC? stock? 180whp? daily driver/ track car???

you got to be more specfic here

Of course u dont need one,

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss

Exactly why I asked what his plans are. I am actually in the process of buying all the parts for a decent turbo setup and I can tell you that the money adds up. If you want to put that VJ-23 to good use and don't want to do the work yourself (clutch replacment, motor swap, install misc parts) then I can tell you right now that it'll cost you more than 5k. And btw, the front clip on Ebay for $1900 is a GTX and that price is excluding shipping.
                              '91 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X