Turtle Wax Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turtle Wax Ice

Finally had a dry weekend with no rain in the distant future. The sky was overcast, which is the perfect weather for detailing. So, I finally got to detail. Yeah!

Bought some Turtle Wax Ice because I ran out of Maguiars NXT. I wanted to see if there is another product that may surpass one of my favorite polishers that I have ever used. NXT provides a great shine and is easy to remove.

Turtle Wax Ice is revolutionary because it "leaves no powdery white residue". It comes in a clear bottle and the product itself is also clear. The viscosity is a little bit thicker than water and when you shake it up, it bubbles up. It comes with a blue foam sponge applicator and a blue microfiber cloth. It goes for 16-17 bucks and you can find it at any car parts and accessories shop.

Upon cleaning my car, I did my usual detail clean-up duties which includes wash, dry, claybar, and then spray detail. After that, I Iced the car. The foam applicator is oblonged in shape and fits the size of my medium-large hands. When pouring on the solution, I streamed the product throughout the surface of the pad. I was able to feel the solution go through the applicator. So, at this point, the pad is super saturated. I started with my hood to get a quick indicator of how it worked. I wiped it on and it felt like i was rubbing oil on my car instead of wax. It was so easy to apply and I had so much left in the pad that I ended up rubbing the stuff thoughout the hood, front-lower-end and quarter panels. I totally forgot to apply it to only half the hood so that I can compare to see how good the stuff works. It went on way too easy.

Now, wiping it off is the reason I like NXT because it rubs off so easily. When you use Ice, wiping it off is takes a couple of steps. First of all, you use your microfiber cloth and fold it in forths. Then, you wipe it off. You will see that you have some streaks. So, you turn the cloth over to the dry side and wipe it clean. Compared to NXT, with Ice, you wipe off a liquidy material. While with NXT, you wipe off the easy to remove dry powder. This is where I see an advantage toward Ice (Yes, Ice) because when you remove the powder, you may not get all the powder off and I found myself using a light sweeping motion to remove the residual dust. With Ice, you know that it is completely removed because you don't see it anymore.

Next area was the roof. My roof has lots of rubber/glass from the sunroof and plastic/metal from the roof rack. This is usually a nightmare with most waxes because, once you get it on these surfaces, you stain them and therefore, you have to brush it off. With Ice, you can pretty much slap it on everywhere and not worry about. It says not to apply to glass. It leaves a smear which can be removed with glass cleaner. I didn't have to worry about getting dust and white marks within the cracks of the car either. It also darkens the plastics like Mothers Back to Black. The problem that I have with Back to Black is that it leaves an oily residue if you get it on the paint and it is hard to remove.

AFter Icing, I re-applied it again. With a second application of wax/polish, you tend to remove more swirl marks. That went this way when I used NXT as well. The more you apply, the more swirl marks dissappear. Anyway, it went on way too easy not to apply it again.

I think you can tell that I am leaning towards Ice compared to NXT as far as application is of concern. However, I am not sure that I know how good the protection is. I just applied the stuff yesterday. You'll hear from me again in a couple weeks, if it comes off.

As far as looks is concern, Ice looks just as great as NXT. If you tried NXT, you know how great that shine is.

Believe me, this stuff is unbelievable. So far.

ShRED
    Last edited by shred; 04-25-2006, 02:26 AM.

Thank You! I was going to buy that stuff this last weekend, but due to my past experiences with Turtle Wax waxes, I went for the Rain-X Wax as you ry, it worked much better than expected, but it's nice to know that there's a nice alternative, I'll be watching for your final results. In the meantime, I'm going to write a review of the Rain-X cause it's a nice product as well.

Thank you for the info and inspiration.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Alright, so it wasn't a couple of weeks but here's what I think about Turtle Wax Ice.

It does produce shiny results but I noticed that the finish of it wasn't deep. It produced a lighter appearance than what I wished for. The shine for me wasn't as reflective as I have seen on other vehicles. It was shiny but not wet looking.

It doesn't last very long as well. I figure that this lasts up to one month applied by itself.

Also, it does a good job in removing light swirl marks. I will have to use my rotary/polish in order to remove the deeper marks.

Anyway, since these are my three real problems with this product, I had to figure another way to produce the results that I want. I figure that Ice is a great glaze with some protective qualities about it. In order to take it a further step, I want to correct the problems that I have with this. I want the deep and rich looking qualities of carnauba, I want the protective qualities of carnauba and I want some more swirl line removal like carnauba. Therefore, I bought Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax - Phase 3.

This is awesome stuff. I bought mine in a paste form for longer protection. It goes on easy but it is hard to remove by hand. You should use an orbital to remove this stuff and then use a microfiber cloth to wipe off the reminence.

I'm having great results from this and I'm glad to call my car ShRed for Shiny + Red again. I really do like Ice, but more of a polishing/glazing product before waxing my car.

Comment

Therefore, I will use Ice as a glaze/sealer. Then use carnauba wax as an ending product.

As for now, the order goes wash, dry, claybar, Ice, then carnauba.

I'm thinking about using Mother's Phase One after claybar. But, that's a few months down the line. Maybe after winter.

Comment

I liked the Ice too, I wasn't really disappointed by it, it beaded water well, and I could use it to make the black plastic not look dull (mouldings, bottom of bumper).

Comment

Great writeup. Even though its from last year its still good. I use the ice on the wifes mpv. Works good as long as you apply it once a month. My car only gets mothers or meguirs.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I have not done anything more with wax then simply washing the car and applying the wax. Never done any clay bar or any of those other steps that are supposed to be done to give the car the best look you can. But here are my thoughts on ICE.

I have just used ICE earlier this week and I'm not so impressed. Application was easy like shred said, and removing the residue is fine. I ended up using two microfiber waffle weave towels to remove it. The blue one that was included was to remove the majority of the residual wax. To remove the rest, i used the next towel. It remains dry and pulls off the rest of the wax quite easily. I have a black car and if you don't remove all of it, its easy to see. Sometimes it took a while. Also, fingerprints show up much more so with ICE as apposed to the original turtle wax paste. Rather annoying on a black car.

As far as application and removal of residual wax is concerned, this product is great. Shred was right with the part about it not being a deep shine but a shine none the less. I think instead of using this once a month, i'd just go with meguiars quick wax in a spray bottle after every couple weeks. That doesn't take more then 10 min to apply and gives you the same shine.

Previous to ICE, I used the original turtle wax paste. Where this one is much more difficult to apply and remove, took me about 3 times the time, the wax lasts longer and gives the car a deeper look.
              Last edited by Squeekster1; 08-17-2007, 10:31 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X