X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lateral acceleration times?

Ive heard that a stock lx with stock suspension will put up 81G
    on the skid pad is this true? if so is it possible our cars can handle
    1.00G on the skid pad with the right type of suspension?
    Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

yes....1G isn't that hard.

The right tires alone will put it up there. Though I wouldn't drive those tires on the street.

With suspension work, a good alignment, and a good set of street tires, you should be flirting with 1G without too much trouble.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Well, i may have come close or got to it, math said that 38mph around the skid pad would put me at 1G (don't recal the diameter of the skidpad) I held it 40mph for a lap or 2.

Comment

darryl...thats crazy...thats about 1.13 g's if im not mistaken...just guestimating, im lazy, but thats great!

Comment

So are we talking G-forces? Thats pretty cool. What exactly are you talking about when you say "skid pad"?

edit...nevermind, I found this: http://www.jari.or.jp/en/about/shisetsu/skid_e.html
          Last edited by Marc93lx; 11-08-2003, 02:04 AM.
          2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

skid pad doesnt have to be wet all the time tho i dont think
            Tag Team

Comment

A skidpad is how the auto mags get their cornering G measurements. Most common is to use a 200-300 ft. diameter circle. You time the car around the circle, each way and average the numbers.

Transitional-Gs can be much higher than continuous Gs. For example, on concrete on Hoosiers, Jesse's MR2 probably can touch 1.2Gs at peak, but around a skidpad, the number is probably closer to 1.0-1.05G.

Using a G-tech, I've seen 1.07G on course (there weren't any slaloms, or throw-it and catch-it type manuevers) (transitional) and 1.04G on a skidpad (again, not continuous). Continuous is probably 0.95+ on Falkens.

Some magazines, and the Tire Rack, will test tires on a wet skid pad, to test the tires abilities on wet pavement.

There is also the "wet" skid pad for car control. It can be very valuable to see what it takes to get the car to oversteer and how to correct it when it happens, and the skid pad is the safest place. Adding water brings the speeds down and is easier on the tires, as well as the engine (skid-padding can move the oil to one side of the pan, and if that's the side without the oil pickup, you're screwed).

If you find a skidpad to play with, usually don't run more than 2-3 laps continuously for the above mentioned reason.
              Last edited by Davard; 11-29-2003, 01:21 AM.
              David Avard
              '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
              '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
              '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

my car actually saw 1.3xG as peak.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Can yall believe that the enzo only got 1.10 g with all that downforce
                  Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

Comment

Downforce is a neat thing but as mentioned above if your going 40mph because of the skidpad size the downforce isnt gonna make a huge diffrence till your speed gets up there
                    -torp.
                    94 Mx-3 1.8l Inline 4
                    81 Celica Gt..

Comment

Working...
                    X