Alternator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator problem

I just picked up my first Pro about 2 months ago and I am having what appears to be an electrical problem. After a few weeks of driving it after finally finishing the engine work I have burnt through two alternators. I replaced to one that was in the car to begin with and then I replaced the replacement. When I replaced it the first time I took out the battery and fully charged it before running the car again. About a week later it died again. I replaced the battery thinking that might be it and immediatly drove it to Autozone and had the alternator tested again. It was fried. So I replaced the alternator AGAIN and I haven't had a problem yet. This was just a few days ago and I haven't driven much. The only things I have done to the car that I figure might have something to do with it are an aftermarket radio (Head unit and CD changer only, no subs or amp) and I have the cooling fan running directly off the battery on a simple on off switch. This is due to the genius that previously owned the car cutting the harness and wiring this in. Any ideas? Also if anyone know of an inexpensive way to rewire the cooling fan so that it is back on the relay and not on a switch that would help. I am not too crazy about buying a whole new engine harness to fix this problem. Too much money.

Any help would be appreciated.
    2000 Chevy Prism - Grocery getting daily driver.

91 Pro LX - K&N Cone filter, MX-3 Seats, SE-R Shift boot, ZX2 struts, Terra springs w/ 1.75" drop.

94 Pro DX - Totaled

87 Jetta GLI - Sold

Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocross is for fast drivers.

Where did you get your alternator?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Autozone, which may have been a mistake in itself. I found out my friends pro went through quite a few of the autozone alternators before one worked.

91 Pro LX - K&N Cone filter, MX-3 Seats, SE-R Shift boot, ZX2 struts, Terra springs w/ 1.75" drop.

94 Pro DX - Totaled

87 Jetta GLI - Sold

Comment

I'm not surprised. Doesn't it have the lifetime warranty? Have the same thing going on with a Kragen RX-7 alternator....
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I has a lifetime warranty, I am just afraid that the alternator is not the problem.

94 Pro DX - Totaled

87 Jetta GLI - Sold

Comment

Working...
          X