What needs to be machined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What needs to be machined?

Ok this is my first ever engine rebuild. I know the block needs to be honed and that is basically all I can think needs to be done. Now I know I am wrong there so I searched on google. Here is what I can up with.
    1. Honed
    2. align-bore the cylinder-block main caps
    3. Hot Tanked

Do I need to have parts polished or turned? Thanks for the help. Oh and this is for my b6t that is being swaped into my bg 323.

also have the cylinder head decked, to ensure its 100% flat
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Thats is all I really need? just what I listed and getting the head decked? what about the block?

Comment

Whats your budget?? Whats your goals for the motor??

93' 5spd DX
        R.I.P

Comment

well my buget is be as cheap as possible without cutting corners basically. My goals are a moderate power leval from it. mabey max 20 psi of boost. stock rods and probalby stock pistons for now.

Comment

stock block can hold up to 15 psi. i wouldnt hit that all day though.

stock gtx was running 7 or 8 stock.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

There are alot of people driving higher then that daily I think. I would have o look it up but you are right about the 7 to 8 psi stock. I am thinking about finding a more efficiant turbo for it too. cause I think 15 psi is pussing the little vj-14.

Comment

Im sure if the block was done, you could hold 20 psi without problems.

I know of a few people running over that on the stock bottom end, and it has held up fine.

Get a t3/t4 hybrid. You can push large amounts of boost with those!
                Eat ****.

Comment

wonder how long it would take to spool on a 1.6L I was actually tthinking of mabey getting a vj-20 from a bg gtx motor. that should be good for 20 psi on a b6t

Comment

Nope. VJ-20=no more than 16psi, no matter what motor it's on. You wanna run that much boost, you need a vj23 or a garret etc..
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I am a turbo noob. Thanks for correcting my mistake before I make it.

Comment

just go t3
                        My Toys =D

Comment

I'd say go find a cheap N/A BP and get that, I boost 8-10 PSI DD, then 15 when the time is right . A slipping clutch is stopping me from the right time though...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                          Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

I like my little b6t I have in the shop. Plus it is easyer to find parts for the the bp in my area lol. I was thinking about finding a junk yard turbo for it but don't know wich one would be a good find. any recomendations for a junk yard turbo?

Comment

It's hard to say what has to be machined... but you should take it into a machine shop and get it all measured up.

You prolly have to get the crank polished, hone the block or bore it if there is too much wear, deck the block... that's what you have to do at least for the block especially if you are gonna turbo it.

For the head, you prolly have to deck the head, change the valve seals... if you are gonna go high high boost, you better save your money and do it right and maybe get a valve grind too.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                              Member of MX-3.com
                              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Working...
                              X