800 watts on a 65 amp alt. ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800 watts on a 65 amp alt. ??

ok the stock altenator puts out 65 amps if I'm lucky has anyone ran a system off this weak a$$ alt. Right now I have an 4x50 watt amp for the mids and hi's and a 300x2 amp for subs. I am looking to get a 5 farad cap. Will that be enough to keep my headlights from dimming or would a second battery be needed ? I also went to the local audio shop and inquired about a custom alt. that would bolt in. Well I laughed my butt off when he quoted $600 - $700 for a 200 amp alt. I think I will grab the 90 amp unit off the MX-3 to ease the pain.
    c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

pick up the phone book and look up a place that rebuilds alternators. they can take your stock one rip it apart and rebuild it to get much better amps.
    mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Which car.

And Im running 400x2 amp with a 50x4 amp.
      I only get slight dimming. The car isnt always sucking down peak power. + a 65 watt amp is good for some 850 watts rms.

Comment

I am running my setup off the stocker alt (65 amp I do believe) and I only have slight dimming.
        The Car:
        2003 Mazda Protege 5
        - Injen Intake
        - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
        - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
        - More Goodies to come....
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        The System:
        Head: Pioneer DEH-P6000
        Components: Infinity Kappa 680.7CS
        Amp: Kenwood KAC-5203
        -
        Sub: RE Audio XXX 15"
        Box: Custom built 4.4cu. ft. Tuned to 27Hz
        Amp: HiFonics Brutus BXi 1606
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

don't buy 1 large capacitor, buy several small ones, if you put them in a row, inner resistance/impedance will go down.
          Girls on Proteges

Comment

im was running a 2000 watt amp and it dimmed a lot then i switched to a jl amp (no idea how many watts) and it really dont dim. i ran both with a cap and it didnt help at all. its 1 farad
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2351990

Comment

Working...
            X