MX-Protege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX-Protege?

I've got a 1.6 miata sitting in my garage due to the under designed crankshaft. Is there anything in that motor that can help my protege? Are there any parts that will fit into my 1.5L engine? This would be more helpful if I had a 1.8 Pro and a 1.8 miata but that's not the case. I doubt there is anything that will give me any power gains but it's worth asking. Espically since it would only cost me my time.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Nah, the 1.6 and 1.5L aren't really related at all.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Re: MX-Protege?

Originally posted by MazdaMania
      I've got a 1.6 miata sitting in my garage due to the under designed crankshaft. Is there anything in that motor that can help my protege? Are there any parts that will fit into my 1.5L engine? This would be more helpful if I had a 1.8 Pro and a 1.8 miata but that's not the case. I doubt there is anything that will give me any power gains but it's worth asking. Espically since it would only cost me my time.
      Nothing will swap over to your 1.5L, unfortunately.

However, I'd be happy to take that motor off your hands though. Are you parting the car out, or what? I'd buy the entire car if the price is reasonable.
      Last edited by kcbhiw; 11-08-2003, 10:07 PM.
      -Kevin
      -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
      -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
      -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
      -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
      -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

It's a '90 with of coarse the short-nose crank shaft. In the process of putting in a new engine the windsheild was busted and the front two fenders are now in need of replacement. Everything has been taken off and the engine is ready to be pulled out so it's not in one piece at all. The drive shaft is off of coarse and the bar that runs from the differential to the rear end of the tranny is hanging. The hood and all other body panels are in good condition other than places where it had been hit that we found when we were painting it.(full of bondo) Car is white/2 8" laser blue stripes and black top/interior. My door got hit shortly after being painted and now a brand new black door is in it's place. Still has stock 8-spokes w/ tires that are in need of replacement. Let me know if you've got any other questions. Am I crazy or are you on miata.net with an ad in the wtb section for a used/wrecked miata?

feel free to e-mail me at P.Bauer7@verizon.net

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>

Comment

Oh, btw I've been trying to part out the car but haven't had much success. I thought I've had some sales but things have never turned up. The ODO is somewhere around 115K miles. I'm at school so I don't know a certain #.

Comment

kcbhiw
            Check your PMs. I left you a price there. Hopefully the price is right. Let me know either here or there.

thanks

Comment

Paul, I just sent you an PM. Although, I read the PM you sent first and should have checked this post before asking my questions (boy, it's been a long day). I'll be out of town all day tomorrow, so I may not get a chance to reply.

I am a member of Miata.net, but never posted in regards to seeking a wrecked Miata.
              -Kevin

Comment

can the 1.6 miata swap be done in the protege?
                im guessing the 1.6 miata engine is faster and has alot of aftermarket support

Comment

Originally posted by loch
                  can the 1.6 miata swap be done in the protege?
                  im guessing the 1.6 miata engine is faster and has alot of aftermarket support
                  It'd probably be a MUCH easier, and beneficial, swap to install the 1.8L, such as Bruce did.
                  -Kevin

Comment

It all depends on who you talk to. If you check out miata.net you'll get a lot of different opinions about that.

Some say the 1.6 is more peppy and is more fun. Some say the 1.8 is faster. If your going FI I'd definately go with the 1.8. There is more out there and has a little stronger components. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've gathered from what I've herd.

As far as the 1.5 vs the 1.8. Yes, there are definately more add-ons for this motor. I'm not sure about how a FWD tranny bolts onto a RWD tranny. I don't know how compatible they are but I'd imagine they are?

Comment

Working...
                    X