Battery light won't go off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery light won't go off

I'm going to bring in my car for this prob on Monday, but I wanna know if it's common or something.

My car battery light just won't go off... I just bought a new battery and the light is still on.
    I removed the wiring for my amp and it's still on.
    There's nothing else attached to my battery but my car...

any help??

note: this started happening on friday, after i hadn't driven the car since monday, and it's been colder than usual this week.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

odd, especially since you put in a new battery, which should clear it. check the stock wiring. it's possible that the voltage sensor wire came loose or something

Comment

can you snap a picture of what that wire looks like?
      I honestly wouldn't have the slightest Idea what to look for.

I brought my car into the shop on monday to get a Throttle Position Sensor installed.. so maybe they ****ed up there... they are the biggest screwups on earth

RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

there should be a group of wires going to your positive battery terminal, all will be inside a black jacket. just make sure they are all ok, and not loose or broken

Comment

ok. i looked at that. but i didn't know.
          i'll have to wait until sunlight, tomorrow... and it's supposed to be warm.. all of 1 degree!

RB springs
          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

They may have left the alternator unplugged. Or maybe your previous battery died because there is a charging system problem. I haven't known the light to trip because of a low battery, it is there to diagnose charging system problems.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

that's just the problem with the 3rd gens. the alternator is controlled by the ECU. if you leave it unplugged, like if you have an custom alternator, the battery light will only come on when the voltage is low. and the car won't run for long if the alternator is unplugged. not to mention it's a bitch to disconnect the plug, so it couldn't have come loose accidentally. it has to be deliberate to remove it it is possible that the alternator is bad, but with how they are controlled, they either work, or they don't. they very rarely just slowly go bad. that can be a good thing, and it can be a bad thing to tell if it's ok, you need to check the voltage when the car is running and when it's off. when it's running, it should be right around 14 volts. when it's off, it should be about 12.8 volts. if it's a spiral cell battery, and the non-running voltage is low, like 10.7 volts, then one of the cells is bad

Comment

Another thing to check for a bad alternator is what happens to the voltage as you change RPM, there is a chance that it can look OK at idle (i.e. around 14VDC) but when you rev the engine the regulation is shot and it shoots up.

I have had this happen (not on my pro) and putting 18VDC on the battery for a while also causes it to die...
                --JJB--
                '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

^^

actually. I had my battery tested.. it was dead.
                  the car was having some serious troubles starting too...

and i don't have an owner's manual for my car... so

RB springs
                  Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Well, the battery will get messed up if your alternator is not working properly. I think autozone will test it for free, it might be worth it to ask around.

Comment

ok..
                      there's no autozone here..
                      but i'll drop by partsource.. they tested my battery for free...
                      like the light was on since yesterday, but the car didn't have problems starting until this afternoon..
                      one quick trip to partsource, they tested my battery, and it was dead...
                      so i buy a new one.. and the damn light is still on... i'm gonna check all the wiring tomorrow.. probably drop by the dealership and get my owner's manual that's been there for the last 12 months...

RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                        so i buy a new one.. and the damn light is still on...
                        OK...get this... when the light is on! It does not necessarily mean there is a battery problem. It is trying to tell you something is wrong with the charging system!

Comment

oh yeah.. it's just annoying.
                          i know there's nothing wrong with the battery... i just wanna find out exactly what IS causing it, so i can fix it...

so i'm gonna try to look at all the wiring 'n stuff tomorrow.

RB springs
                          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

good luck

Comment

hahaha. thanks..
                              i'm still a mad-ass beginner in automotive technology... but the people at partsource are really nice 'n this board help lots

RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X