Blew my motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew my motor

Yea I blew my na motor on thurs night on the way home from the track. I was runnin 110 octane and the car ran fine at the track. But on the way home I was in 5th gear doin about 80, and gave her a slight bit of boost and she popped hard.
    Its ok cause that motor had 180k on it. So next week im installing my old gtx motor for now until I get a built motor. Ill post more picts later
    Attached Files
    (sold!)
    1994 Mazda Protege/Familia 4dr Gtx motor, Sparco intercooler w/custom piping, hks blow off, mandrel bend 2.5"exhaust, gtx front and rear bumpers, jdm headlights, jdm led wing, jdm gtx grill, jdm strut bar

damn sorry to hear. good thing you have a spare.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Holes in the block, always a good thing.
      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Oh no.

That sucks man.

I just turned 180K, and I'm driving harder than ever. I hope it holds up.

Comment

daaamn...well, what else could one expect from an engine which you punished so much? ^_^;;

Comment

what causes an old engine to blow like that?

Comment

running 110 octane in a motor with stock pistons and connecting rods. spells disaster. with that type of fuel your motor runs 2x hotter than with 92 octane and stock parts cant handle that. the block can but you would have to change the stock crank shaft, connecting rods, pistons, valves, and other parts then it might withstand abuse with drag fuel. a motor can pop like that driving it hard any way. but the drag fuel was the kicker + boost

im not shure how built his motor was
              stock blaze red 1992 Mazda Protege DX 5 Speed

Comment

Yea 110 octane was the fate of that n/a block, plus it having 180k and him boosting it hard. I ran the same gas that night, but mixed with a half tank of 91 octane. It worked great on the track but drove funny around town. The main thing that sucked is that we were going to film each other racing on the way home. His motor blew before we did anything. Its ok it will be on the road again soon.
                1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Its always nice to see the alternator moved when the block grenades... How much boost was he runnin when it all went wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by madmax_2069
                    running 110 octane in a motor with stock pistons and connecting rods. spells disaster. with that type of fuel your motor runs 2x hotter than with 92 octane and stock parts cant handle that. the block can but you would have to change the stock crank shaft, connecting rods, pistons, valves, and other parts then it might withstand abuse with drag fuel. a motor can pop like that driving it hard any way. but the drag fuel was the kicker + boost

im not shure how built his motor was
                    The rods and pistons might not hold up, but the crank definitely would.

Comment

I think he was runnin 10-12 psi when it went boom! We usually run higher boost on pump gas.
                      1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by madmax_2069
                        running 110 octane in a motor with stock pistons and connecting rods. spells disaster. with that type of fuel your motor runs 2x hotter than with 92 octane and stock parts cant handle that.
                        Good info i never thought of! Thanks for putting more random useful information in my brain!
                        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Well we swapped the bp26 block back in, and she's back on the road boosting hard again. Here's some more picts of the blown motor. Enjoy!
                          Attached Files
                          (sold!)
                          1994 Mazda Protege/Familia 4dr Gtx motor, Sparco intercooler w/custom piping, hks blow off, mandrel bend 2.5"exhaust, gtx front and rear bumpers, jdm headlights, jdm led wing, jdm gtx grill, jdm strut bar

Comment

#1 cylinder?

Why is that that its always the #1 that shoots when an engine goes... maybe I've just been seeing a lot of that lately... on any engine.

Peace,
                            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

dam..another ZOOM ZOOM OWNED

Comment

Working...
                              X