Mazda speed Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda speed Protege

The mazda speed protege is turbocharged which makes its vastly superior to the ES do yall think the engine is better that the BPT
    Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

what do you mean by "BETTER"??
    Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
    you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

Is the new turbocharged 2nd gen engine better than the 1st gen or should i say bpt motor personally idont think its as durable as the Bpt what do you think
      Sandon Davis

Comment

In my opinion, the BPT is alot more durable and in a sense, "superior" to the Mazdaspeed engine. Take a look at the construction of hte 2 motors as far as internals go and as far as the setup of the turbo system (intercooler and turbo size). Also, lets not forget the power ratings of the motors,

Mazdaspeed: 2.0 DOHC - 170hp
        GTX: 1.8 DOHC - 185hp
        GTR: 1.8 DOHC - 210hp

Adam
        1991 Protege GTR
        #1739 of 2500
        1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
        MODS:
        GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
        TO DO LIST:
        EDM/JDM rear bumper
        EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
        Repaint car

Comment

The BPT is much stronger internally than the FS engine in the mazdaspeed protege. The FS block is the same block from the 1993+ 626, MX-6,and Probe. Mazda used to have the 2.2L SOHC turbo but built the 2.0L for the new body. They found out that the new engine was not very strong for turbo applications so they had the KL V-6 as the top engine instead. In Japan, The FS runs High Comp pistons and cams to increase power.
          The BPT also has many internal turbo features like oil squirters for the pistons.
          Check out CorkSport's BPT powered 3rd Gen drag car.
          Shaun
          01 MP3
          98 civic (stock)

Comment

Re: Mazda speed Protege

Originally posted by Speed Protege
            The mazda speed protege is turbocharged which makes its vastly superior to the ES do yall think the engine is better that the BPT
            Dude, it's a stock FSDE with a bolt on kit. It has no chance in hell of being nearly as nice as the BP. That's a given. We all knew this 10 years ago when the Probes came out with the FS motor. We know it now. Please do some reasearch before posting silly threads like this.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by mp3owner
              The BPT is much stronger internally than the FS engine in the mazdaspeed protege. The FS block is the same block from the 1993+ 626, MX-6,and Probe. Mazda used to have the 2.2L SOHC turbo but built the 2.0L for the new body. They found out that the new engine was not very strong for turbo applications so they had the KL V-6 as the top engine instead. In Japan, The FS runs High Comp pistons and cams to increase power.
              The BPT also has many internal turbo features like oil squirters for the pistons.
              Check out CorkSport's BPT powered 3rd Gen drag car.
              The FS has piston oil-squirters too.

Speed Protege Is the new turbocharged 2nd gen engine better than the 1st gen or should i say bpt motor personally idont think its as durable as the Bpt what do you think
              Also, the FS is in the third gen proteges, not second.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I'd much rather have a BP motor in my MSP but I'll keep my MSP tranny. FS-DE is the detonation SuX0r
                -Braden
                '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

I figured so How does a 2.0 liter turbo have nearly 50 less than a 1.8 (the 50 fig is from the gtr) is it more boost what?
                  Sandon Davis

Comment

Less boost??
                    More emission controls.
                    LOwer compression?
                    The need to keep the engine reliable?
                    The fact that they were'nt trying to make a blisteringly fast straight line car but rather a well rounded good handling car that happens to have better acceleration than your average mundane compact family sedan??
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Well look at the SRT-4 that is as fast as a 350Z. they could ad least gave it 200hp.
                      Sandon Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Protege
                        Well look at the SRT-4 that is as fast as a 350Z. they could ad least gave it 200hp.
                        From what I hear they also handle like ****.
                        Yeah they could give it at least 200 hp, but if they're gonna do that, they could give it 300hp too, but they didn't and people that own them either have to be satisfied with 170 hp or they can do something about it.
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

The reason a 1.8 (GTR) can make more power than a MSP is partially due to the turbo and intercooler being used. The GTR came with a ball bearing turbo that's comperable to a T3 and it also came with a front mount intercooler. The MSP come with a T-28 and the intercooler used sits right next to the radiator which kind of defeats the purpose of having an intercooler. Also, I believe that the MSP runs less boost than the GTR.

Adam
                          1991 Protege GTR
                          #1739 of 2500
                          1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
                          MODS:
                          GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
                          TO DO LIST:
                          EDM/JDM rear bumper
                          EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
                          Repaint car

Comment

I thought it was a T25??

Comment

Yeah, it's a T25. Everybody always says the rods are weak in the FS motor.
                              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                              X