My new $300 K-car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new $300 K-car

I found a beater! It's a 1985 Plymouth Caravelle sedan, blood -red. Three hundred bucks! Runs great! Good tires, and a new battery. What more could I ask for? Oh, yeah, and only 43,000 miles!

It looks like hell, though. I think it sat around for a loooong time, outside. It's rusty on the hood and roof, but not on the rocker panels or door bottoms. It looks like it used to have a vinly top, but all that's left now is a little bit of fuzz and some torn bits of red vinyl around the door frames. It's quite a sight. I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow if I get a chance.

It needs a muffler badly, and it has a couple electrical gremlins, but it also has a smooth-running fuel injected 2.2 and a good solid auto trans. I drove it 35 miles on the highway to get it home, and it ran perfectly the whole way.

I know you domestic-haters will scoff, but for 3 bills, a K-car is a good deal. Parts are cheap, and the damn things just run and run. Bring on the snow; I'm ready!
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Here it is...

This picture actually makes it look a lot better than it really is. I already ditched the fake spoke hubcaps. Now it just has rusty black steelies.

I pulled off the front wheels to check the brakes & ball-joints this morning. Everything's OK there, but I found a mouse nest on top of the transmission housing, and spiderwebs behind every hubcap. This car has been sitting around for a long time!

The bad news: Pretty much everything from the catalytic converter on back has to be replaced. Luckily, on a car like this, that's only about $100.
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

WHAT A BEAUTY. I'd hit it.
      '99 Protege ES

Mostly stock.

Comment

Good find, Ugly ass car but im sure it will fulfill its purpose

Comment

lol, my beater is my huffy

Comment

turbo it! my friend had a turbo kcar It was the tits! Good find for $300!!!!!
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

dude itzkcatz and myself knew this chick with a k-car and it ran like a champ in the snow, you would have sworn it was AWD it was a beast. good find
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Yeah i remember she left and went up that steep ass hill without even trying, Then u came down 5 mins later in your suv all out of control, wtf is up with k-cars i swear it looked like it was a dry day when she left. **** was unreal. But nothing beats that jetta

Comment

This is my 5th FWD Mopar car. They're incredible in the snow. No one knows why; it's one of those mysteries of the universe. As long as it's got decent front tires, you almost CAN'T get stuck.
                  ~Mark.

Comment

My buddy Mike just picked up an 1982 Datsun Maxima Wagon. L28 powered!!! snazzy. $200.
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

dude that jetta was a freaking beast, like 100 in a blizzard, no problems lost me in my blazer, up hills down hills, everywhere, i think he had tractor tires, lol and yeah that day i came down the hill and the k-car was going up i thought i was gonna die, i had the tires locked up, and was skidding at like 35, lol i put it in reverse and punched it, just to stop, that was sick lol.i miss the blazer

186.08whp
                      225.94wtq
                      torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Yeah that jetta was insane, he was so drunk and driving like a rally driver

Comment

no dude he was hopped up on crack or something, cause that was insane, im scared my protege is gonna suck this year in the snow due to the lower stance, but we will see.

186.08whp
                          225.94wtq
                          torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Update:

IT'S ALIVE!!! I patched up the exhaust; it's still noisy, but bearable. While I was under there, I discovered something interesting: brand new brake lines! So I looked a little closer: brand new rear brakes! Woohoo!

The trunk lid now shuts properly, and everything works, except the radio. But in true beater fashion, I have solved that problem for a measly $65. Check out the new "system" :

Her maiden voyage to work will be Monday, after I get the insurance squared away. Wish me luck!
                            ~Mark.

Comment

goodluck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X