changing brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing brakes?

i've never changed brakes before. The adapter plate for the jdm turbo will be finished tomorrow, little grinding and a cut out and im good. I want to put my new rotors and pads on as well, but I've never done it. Can anyone help me out with a good pictoral tutorial or something? If anyone wants to get upset because I'm asking a question, keep it to yourself because that is of no help to anyone on the forum. Thanks guys.

dont have a picture but im pretty sure there is prob a howtoo on the site. eitherway its really simple to do. pretty self explanatory when you get to looking at them.
    mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

no pics but the basics are
      1 remove wheel
      2 remove caliper(2 10 or 12 mm blots)
      3 take off the little metal thing that resembles the thickness of a paper clip(with needlenose pliers)
      4 remove 2 metal rods holding brake pads in.
      5 dont lose the metal sheets behind the brake pads.
      6 replace pads
      7 reverse the last 4 steps
      8 remove rotor(should slid off easy)
      9 put on new one
      10 reatach caliper(if the room between the brake pads doesnt fit the rotor remove the brake resivour cover and squeeze the hell out of the pads towards the caliper)

thats a detailed as I can get.

Now tell me how you manage to get the oil return to go into the bottom portion of the oil pan.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

i have a pipe on the inside fitting of the oil pan thing i used to tap it that goes above oil level, should work, same way projectprotoge did it on this site, and he's the turbomaster around here for the z5. he's gonna change it soon tho, but he told me it worked for him.

Comment

remove wheel, take off metal thing, the two metal rods, remove rotor

i can do those

i am confused on
          remove caliper (prolly cuz im not looking at it), metal sheets behind brake pads

Comment

are you refering to your having problems removing the caliper or you dont know what i mean by saying remove the caliper?

there is two bolts holding it on behind it. You might need a breaker bar to losen them they're on kinda tight.

and there is one-2 sheet of metal behind each brake pad.(not visible atached to the car) they are referd to as anti-squeak shims in the hayens manual. i don't know how they work exactly but they're aparently important
            there is a nice discription and pics in the hayens manual on it in chapter 9 page 4
            if my response still isnt helpful..
            Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

thanks! most of my haynes is water damaged, but i'll see if I have that page... also my problem is i wasn't sure where the bolts are and what those shims arem, i guess i'll see the shims when i take off the caliper and I guess the bolts are on the back of the caliper... so that helped...

Comment

howd you do?
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
                X