4wd Seat mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4wd Seat mounting?

I seem to have run into a strange problem.

For the backseat, I changed the frame on a set of GTX seatbacks to the sedan style frame (where it latches on top, instead of the side on 323 frames). Now that went fine and dandy, but when I got the car it didn't have the lower mounting equipment for the seatbacks (the two side parts the mount to the chassis and the middle which the seatbacks pivot on).

Now I got a set from the junkyard, but it seems like standard 2wd models have a different mounting brackets (for example, it appears that the center part mounts with 3 bolts on the 4wd, vs only 2 bolts on a 2wd model). Anyway, with the 2wd stuff the seatbacks sit too high to latch when in the normal postion.

Can anyone take some pics to help verify this?

Yeah looks that way. I bet it's cuz the tranny tunnel is higher then 2wd. Don't have pix but it looks like you have ID'd your problem correctly.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I remembered this post the other night while I was dismantling my GTX. I took pics of the back seat pivot hold down, if you need to see it. Also, if you need anything out of the interior, let me know, the car is being stripped down for racing.

-Jon R.

Comment

They don't cuz the AWD floorpan is COMPLETELY different and the rear seat sits on top of the gas tank (which straddles the driveshaft).

On the BFMR GTX the seat cushion isn't as thick as the FWD ones, fits completely different.

However, I've got a spare BFMR lower pivot (the part between the 2 halves) if you think that'll be enough to bolt in the seats.

Comment

Are the front seats different too?
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

yep the passenger seat bottom has a different frame than the 2wd.. I found this out the hard way.. I am still looking for a 4wd rear seat complete.. for my car..

Comment

For a Protege rear seat? I've got a GTX rear seat that's in very nice shape. If you need it, let me know.
              Jon R.

Comment

doh! I forgot to email you back about that.
                do yo still have my email addy? thing you could send me a pic?
                do you ever make it out to the beach?

Comment

FWIW, you can usually interchange the seats, you just have to swap the glides/brackets around.
                  ****, FD3S seats might even work and those are NICE.

Comment

I was re-reading this old thread just now, and I couldn't tell if it was for BF or BG 4wd. Or maybe it applies to both.
                    1990 Protege 4WD
                    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

kinda both, either way the 2wd and 4wd have different floorpans and fueltank locations so the rear seat and front seat brackets are different.
                      with a front seat, sometimes you can take the seat off the brackets and swap those.

Comment

with a front seat, sometimes you can take the seat off the brackets and swap those.
                        That's what I was thinking. I'll go check sometime and post results.
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by gtx510 View Post
                          Wrong... for the 4wd Protege the physical pass seat frame is different between the 4wd & 2wd cars not the seat tracks... That is why I have a pair of 2wd bg gtx seats in my garage to this day...

Comment

did you try swapping tracks/frames/brackets from seat to seat? 4wd & 2wd?
                            iirc, it works that way with the BF.

Comment

Working...
                            X