Monitors for carputer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitors for carputer

I'm working on plans for a carputer, and I need a monitor to use. I'm trying to find a touchscreen lcd that I can mount flat in place of the stereo. I don't know much about the brands out there -- Clarion makes one that's too expensive, and other than that the only ones I can find are Lilliput and Xenarc. Are there other brands out there? Which ones are good? I also found one on ebay as a kit (here) and I don't know if this would be better or worse than the others.

Does anybody know enough about this stuff to make some recommendations?

here's some other cool stuff they have:

Comment

Do you know whether Lilliput or Xenarc is better for the already assembled units? I heard that Xenarc is better quality, but from the pictures the display doesn't look as good -- bad white balance and distortion.

Comment

honestly i have no clue i stick to stereos, and don't care too much for TV's, let alone computers in my car course i'll be putting TV's in, but that's more for experience, and to show people what i can do, when i open a shop with my friend next summer:p:

Comment

OK

I think I'll stick to the kits anyway... I've never done anything like this and I want to make it work my way and do it myself, also for the experience. I just figure it's another fun way to make my car unique.

Comment

sorry i haven't been here. . . i have a xenarc. . .it's great and molded into my dash as you want to do...... i have read that the liliput screens have ****ty quality control and sometimes the touchscreen doesn't even work at all out of the box. . .. ..they are a brighter monitor so you would see better in the day. . .but it doesnt' necesarily mean a better monitor. .sice it has been known to run red hot after a while. .. .it is more inexpensive though so that is cool. . ...

the xenarc i got around june and has worked flawlessley for the 5 months so far with no issues. . ..it was 410 shipped from dave at www.dscustoms.com

the tm-701 that blue mentioned is a good monitor but to get it in it's cheapest incarnation doens't do it justice since it is not a vga screen and the vga upgrade is $$$$.. .. . .Armen (the guy that runs www.digitalww.com is a cool guy) both him and dave are active members of the carputer community at www.mp3car.com so if you buy from them they will take car of you since thier customer service is great. cause if you buy from ebay and stuff breaks you are pretty much screwed since these are usually imported form hong kong or china so warrantees are SOL

from armen or dave they will exchange out of their own stock and be the middle man for you and will save you a huge headache and lag time if your stuff breaks.. .then again. .if you break open your monitor and mold it intot he dash you won't have a warrantee anyway

hope this helped

hey brian. . .where's you shop going to be. . i wanna work. . .heh
            2003 P5 Midnight Blue
            Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
            OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
            Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
            sun ground kit
            5spd sunroof
            Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
            7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
            power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
            6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

I was looking at the post of your setup that you put on protege5.com...

It looks like the xenarc from dscustoms is actually cheaper than the kit I was looking at, although the one I found supposedly includes a vga connector but I couldn't find it in the pictures.

How did you mount yours? Did you take the housing off completely or just set it in as it was? And did someone make the face custom for you?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                I was looking at the post of your setup that you put on protege5.com...

It looks like the xenarc from dscustoms is actually cheaper than the kit I was looking at, although the one I found supposedly includes a vga connector but I couldn't find it in the pictures.

How did you mount yours? Did you take the housing off completely or just set it in as it was? And did someone make the face custom for you?
                heh. .. .i custom monutned the screen in there . . .it was a fun project. . it is mounted it with bondo and a lot lot lot of sanding. . .i wanna pull it and redo it but it's liveable. . ..like it's pretty good in thre. . .no cracks after 5 months

what you have to do is pull the whole radio surround out and then work on it from there. . ..took about 3 days to do. . then a couple more for paint and curing time
                2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
                OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
                Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
                sun ground kit
                5spd sunroof
                Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
                7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
                6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

I have a friend whose grandpa used to own a plastic manufacturing place, I'm not sure if he still does but I want to see about a custom mounting if I can get a hold of it. Are you interested in a molded face if I can get them made?

Comment

Working...
                  X