Intake??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake??

Ok so i already have a custom intake setup that i was intending to implement, what is the best way to eliminate that big ass vacuum hose on the bottom of the OEM intake tube?? it goes to the bottom of the throttle body?? what is its purpose and is it possible to remove it or replace it with a more efficient unit?? thanks

well, if nobody else is gonna respond, that's the idle air tube, buddy... kinda important

short answer? you don't get rid of it.
    Ask me about engine management!

Comment

so would that be the idle air control?? so i guess the best way to do this would be to build a reducer in order to fit it to the intake tube

Comment

hey! i have one of those on my jdm 2nd gen protege engine, idled funny with it open so i stuck a big bolt in the hose and clamped it, seems to run fine now. What happens if i block that off. Since im turbocharged, what happens if i hook that up somehow? Where does it go? what is it for? please inform me as nobody around here knows what its for.

Comment

Originally posted by tunerguy
          so would that be the idle air control?? so i guess the best way to do this would be to build a reducer in order to fit it to the intake tube

The IAC valve is what the hose goes to underneath your throttle body.

It allows your car to idle.

How do you think your engine gets air when the throttle flap is closed? The air goes from your H-box to your IAC valve, bypassing your throttle body.

Either keep your H-box, or fabricate some sort of a reducer for the large vacuum line.

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
            hey! i have one of those on my jdm 2nd gen protege engine, idled funny with it open so i stuck a big bolt in the hose and clamped it, seems to run fine now. What happens if i block that off. Since im turbocharged, what happens if i hook that up somehow? Where does it go? what is it for? please inform me as nobody around here knows what its for.
            Are you saying that you blocked off the large vacuum line that goes to your IAC valve?

Your car wouldn't idle if you did that.

Comment

ok wat is the plastic that gos over ur radiator in a 94 pro.it looks like a part of the intake system? damn i wanna change my intake

Comment

that plastic is a resonator just makes your stock intake quiter. you can take it out with no problems. atleast i did with no problems. i then took the rubber pieve that connected to it turned it upside down and ran a 2.5 inch pipe off of it to the bottom of the car didnt notice one bit of difference except things are louder but it occupied some time.
                mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                  Are you saying that you blocked off the large vacuum line that goes to your IAC valve?

Your car wouldn't idle if you did that.
                  I blocked mine off and the car idles Then again it barley idles.
                  c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

The boxes are tuned Helmholtz resonators. They actually do serve a purpose, FYI. Don't take them off unless you have a good reason to.
                    Ask me about engine management!

Comment

mine's blocked off and the car idles perfectly.

my usdm z5 engine never had one of those
                      the jdm one does

very odd. i mean i have a perfect idle on that engine. weird!

Comment

Working...
                      X