Brake pad - rotor clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad - rotor clearance

I tried installing new pads today, but with the new pads inside the caliper there's not enough clearance to fit the rotor between them. I pushed the piston in with a C-clamp until it can't go in any further. The piston is flush with the rubber boot, is this the most retracted position? Or can the piston go in even more so that it's recessed within the rubber dust seal? I still need 1/4 inch to fit the caliper over the rotor with the new pads. The pads are Duralast MKD466 and are the right ones for this 96 LX. I know grinding the pads isn't a solution. There's gotta be a way to get the piston in further?

I remember seeing someone with a similar problem but I just can't find the thread right now. Please I need some help cuz I gotta keep working on this tomorrow. Thanks everybody.

you should be able to compress them by hand.
    Remove the brake/clutch resivour cover and go at it again.
    dont worry about breaking anything.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Thanks everybody, it turned out that the caliper selfadjusted to a position for the thin pads and the "caliper sliders" (the two long bushings where the caliper mounting bolts go through) were seized at that position; so putting in thicher pads without the caliper being able to move on those sliders was creating the clearance issue. Once I realized that the caliper has to be able to slide freely over those bushings I just knocked them out and greased them real good and the problem was solved. By the way the piston was in all the way.

Comment

Working...
      X