mesh grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mesh grille

I saw a tutorial a few months back on *some message board* on how to custom a nice looking mesh grille...
    i forgot to bookmark it, and i can't track it down.

I think i'm going to do it soon.
    i have a basic idea of how to do it, but i want to make sure it looks nice...
    not some slapped-together wannabe ricer thing.

any help?
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Its pretty straight forward. I've seen it done two different ways. I'll start with the way I did it.

You will need the following supplies:
    -Mesh Grill
    -Dremel tool with cutoff attachment
    -Silicon sealant
    -Clamps
    -Sandpaper

If you look at the grill on the front you can see a groove going all the way around the black part. That is where you want to make your cut. Basically just carefully cut out all the plastic part with a dremel tool. Now be carefull not to cut off the mounting brackets. After you cut all the way around, the grill will still be attached to the mounting brackets on the back. You'll have to cut them from the bottom, but don't cut them all the way off. Only enough to free the center part, otherwise youll be left with a grill that wont mount back on the car. Now that the center is cut out you will want to smooth out the edges a bit with some sandpaper. Now take your mesh grill and cut it to fit. Here is how I attached the mesh to the grill, Im sure there are other ways to do it. Once you get the mesh cut and fitted up to the grill start applying the silicon to the edges of the mesh. I used the clamps to hold the mesh to the grill while the silicon was drying. Worked pretty good.

Now the other way.
    Everything is basically the same except that you only cut out the center of the grill, Basically up to the point where it starts to be grill. You also have to fill in the "V" shaped part with silicon because a hole will be left.

Hope this helps.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

great, thanks!

i'm assuming i can get this stuff at a hardware store... right?

i'm going to take a good look at the grille this weekend, and probably do it saturday if it seems i know what i'm doing...
      justin
      Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
      installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

Just buy the gutter guard from Lowes or Home Depot, its LOTS cheaper than the **** they sell at Auto Zone. If you need some help or don't understand anything just ask.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

This is how I did with with my old Protege... pretty much everything Marc said except I just bent the ends in and poprivited in instead of using silicone. Yeah buy that gutter guard thing. It's cheap and it works.
          -Robert
          '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

I am also interested in doing this but 90-93 cars have a straight grille and I have a 94 with a 323 grille can i just cut a longer piece or do some custom fabrication. if not i'll just change mine to the 323gtr grille and be done with it.
            Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

Comment

Here's 2 shots of my old grill. I used some mesh from Home Depot and some bent paper clips to hold it in place. (The first pic has zip ties holding it in place.)

Close Up:

View Of It On Car:

Adam
              1991 Protege GTR
              #1739 of 2500
              1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
              MODS:
              GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
              TO DO LIST:
              EDM/JDM rear bumper
              EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
              Repaint car

Comment

ur car makes me thing naughty things adam-and i might do the grill thing this weekend, if i can fab something thats removeable

Comment

i just order me some mesh off ebay 11ft long 2ft wide for 20 buxs, im going to mesh my front bumper and grill.
                  Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectProtege
                    i just order me some mesh off ebay 11ft long 2ft wide for 20 buxs, im going to mesh my front bumper and grill.
                    $20 is way too much for mesh. You could've bought all the mesh you'd need for about $5 from Home Depot. I guess it's still OK compared to the 'cutom' mesh grills they sell for over $100.
                    -------------------------
                    '91 LX
                    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Should have gone to lowes, soooooo much chaeper.
                      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Mine is in my Avatar its really small so you probably can't see it good, I used gutterguard and epoxyed it in.

90 Mazda Protege LX 5-Speed (currently 4 sale)
                        -Mods...who care's anymore?DOHC anyone

Comment

heres a closer shot,

90 Mazda Protege LX 5-Speed (currently 4 sale)
                          -Mods...who care's anymore?DOHC anyone

Comment

All your grills look legit... cheap mods are the sh**
                            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

I read this Damn thread again.. and just realized I'm an idiot for buying that god damn mesh off ebay... ****!!!!!!
                              1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                              1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                              2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                              2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Working...
                              X