Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd gen GTR swap on the way

sup.

i've got a mazda 323 GTR front clip being shipped to my door as we speak. it cost me an arm and a leg... i'll be starting the swap sometime in mid-december into my 95 2nd gen protege! is there anyone in the US who's swapped a bpd into a 2nd gen? i know there have been a few GTX bpt swaps. but in any case, this will be very interesting... i hear the gtx swap is pretty much bolt-on and only wiring is a problem. any recommendations as to which tranny i should use? i'm aiming for 300whp.
    i've also heard the cv-shafts are a problem with upwards of 240whp on the 323's...

this is going to be a big sleeper. not even some of my closest friends know what's coming... yup, a sr20det 240sx will be my first victim. it's GAME OVER! :ARCADE:

-tim
    btw, i'm in the dallas area.
    92hp to 300whp over night... could it be the stickers?
    Last edited by PseudoR; 11-11-2003, 02:09 AM.

anyone like my new front end? i was thinking about just sawing off the front half of my car and welding that baby on....lol
    Attached Files

Comment

can't tell much from here...
      Attached Files

Comment

note the momo steering wheel and the intercooler in the first pic... i've done my hw.
        Attached Files

Comment

Should talk to Patrick (pinoy323)....although he did the bpt and it was supposed to be a straight swap, from what hes told me, it was actually a real PITA even with experts like Corksport doing the swap...
          just a thought.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
          1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
          Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Looking good, may i ask how much u got it for total,and from what company?

Comment

Yeah just ship that clip to me and i will tell u what u need!

Comment

ok! ..
                All I can say is this swap is gonna cost you some real $$$$...

I spoke to Derrick at Corksport about Patricks swap a while ago. I got some tidbits on the swap from him..
                Basically the swap is a straight pain in the ass. You will have to go with a full stand alone system because the wire harness from the GTR is useless with a 2nd gen.
                Also the 2 cars start different. The ignition system is also different. I don't know if you are doing this swap yourself, but expect to kick out some cash to get that bad boy running. I also know that Derrick said something about he had to make a custom crank pulley or soemthing like that. If I were you I would call Derrick about that swap.
                503-252-5700
                There is a lot to that swap that you need to know about.
                The day you get that clip to your house is the 1st day of all your hedaches ..
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Nice acquesition, what's the deal with the screen name, sounds awfully familiar???

Hopefully your swap will be as smooth as possible for a 2nd gen, I've already heard some bad things (as mentioned by bruce above).
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

i bought it off ebay:

GTR front clip

it was destiny, i tell you. i've been looking into this swap for maybe 3 years. a couple months ago, my 3rd and 4th gear went out in my transmission (auto) and i needed to replace it. there was no way in hell i was going to replace it with another auto, and a full manual tranny conversion would have cost me around $500. shopping around, i found that the gtx bpt with wiring harness and ecu would run me about $1200. no doubt, a bpt swap was inevitable if i was going to keep this car, but i was going through a mid-life crisis : either keep the car and swap, or move on to a better platform. i had my sights set on a 240sx with an rb26det (skyline) swap after i helped a friend swap a sr20det into a 240 a year ago. not to mention, two other friends custom turboed their own cars (a maxima and an altima. crazy.) and it seemed more and more apparent that my pro was a lost cause (no offense), but the pro has it's sentimental value and it's also a comfortable car. yet, i still wanted to find hope. looking into my options, the bpd was like a wet-dream... coming stock with an 8.2:1 compression ratio, 500cc injectors, huge turbo, strengthened internals capable of boosting upwards of 30psi, bpd seemed to be the only means of salvation for my protege worth doing. so, the decision came down to:

GTR or bust.

and after a couple of days of calling around and emailing importers without much luck, i stumbled across a listing on ebay... it was unreal. i've been looking on ebay for 3 years, on and off, and i've never come across a bpd, much less, a front clip. after taking a day to consider the validity of the listing, i jumped on the opportunity and made my purchase decision. it was one hellava deal, IMO. :p: i don't think they knew what i knew...

go ebay! whoo!

-tim
                    i got the FSM for the gtr and gtx too complemenary of 323.co.uk , i just need the FSM for my current car. anyone wanna borrow/scan me one?

btw, my friend spent ~$7000 total on that 240sx (4000 for the swap, 300 for the car at a junkyard, the rest for maintenance/accessories) and he's beating modded mustang gt's, 5.0's, rx7's, s2000's, and 350z's... not a bad deal, cept it still looks like a POS with the exception of the big shinny thing in front => and the 3" exhaust out the back...
                    Last edited by PseudoR; 11-12-2003, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Hey, if you're selling stuff that you don't want from that front clip, I'd like the gauge cluster in the console (unless that's what dave said he already wanted)
                      Dan
                      dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                        that would be me. and yup, that's what i'm askin fer. lol.. amongst some "other things"
                        BAH!
                        Dan
                        dreesemonkey

Comment

Just so u know the motor has 370cc injectors and is unsafe at 25 psi let alone 30. How much is shipping?

Comment

I hope he knows that he has to run a stand alone ..
                            There is no way he can use the 1st gen harness unless he hard wires the gauges, which I doubt.
                            Forget the 2nd gen manual because the car will basically be controlled by whatever stand alone you get.
                            Everything on the motor will be hardwired.
                            It can be installed, I just hope you can install most of everything yourself. You can more than likely get help from Derrick if you use a Haltech because this is what he is using to control Pat's car.
                            I may be upgrading to this also when I get the t3 in my protege.
                            Bruce
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I've got a standalone and some injectors for you if you want

I'll even trade you your stock 370's for my drop in 460's.
                              -Braden
                              '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Working...
                              X