Adv/Disadv. of an electric spray gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adv/Disadv. of an electric spray gun

I was browsing over some websites randomly, and saw this electric spray gun available at home depot.

I was wondering how powerful/useful is it for painting cars?

Beware I am not trying to cheap out or anything, but was just wondering since I do no have air-tools and cannot store them (even if I had any) in my rented apartment, hence the question.

I know its advised to use a HVLP spray.

But I'm a total newbie to this stuff...

"Great for cabinets, furniture, trim, doors and sealing decks."

I'm not sure that I'd trust something that can apply Thompson's Sealer on my car...probably too large of a paint droplet

Comment

doesnt mist enough and too inconsistent of a pattern.
      mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

but that one looks like it might be ok. only thing to do is buy it and try it.
        personally im gonna use a production style gun. dont have enough cfm for hvlp my home one onyl gets up to 8.5 at 40psi
        mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

whats the pressure required for a good auto paint job?

Comment

Originally posted by whistler
            whats the pressure required for a good auto paint job?

You need to be more concerned with CFM at a given pressure than pressure alone, a compressor needs to sustain the pressure when spraying hense the need for lots of CFM.

Pat.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sube
              You need to be more concerned with CFM at a given pressure than pressure alone, a compressor needs to sustain the pressure when spraying hense the need for lots of CFM.

Pat.
              elaborate on lots of CFM? is there a particular range?

Comment

What mark was saying is a hvlp gun will sometimes require as much as a sustainted 12 cfm at 40 psi. (never paint at more than 40 psi). Hvlp is nice but you need the right equipment normally more than use the backyard mechanic is willing to spend. go with a regular spray gun and a decent compresser the 26 gallon one at sears will work (its the best they sell and all i would even think about useing that they sell)

Comment

Working...
                X