Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Questions

Hey Yall...

Ameen here again... Got my rims 17x7 40mm offset... I plan on mounting them after winter, I have done the research, and the original diameter of my tires now are only a tiny bit smaller then they will be with new 205/40/17's...

Since the tires are about the same in comparison (at 70 miles an hour, my true speed will be 71mph with the new wheels)... Is new suspension neccesary? Springs aren't that expensive, but honestly I dont see why I would need it. Let me know what yall have done... and why I guess, anything helps.

Pimp On
    Attached Files
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

No, you don't need a new suspension when you put on rims. Would look better though if it were lowered with rims. I lowered mine first then I got rims.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Word... thanks

Comment

Not only would the car look better lowered, but it'll perform better as well. A used set of springs will run you about $150 and the ZX2 struts are about $225 so you can properly lower the car for about $400, which is not bad at all.
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Word...

I'm not too worried about performance right now... i dont want to be hard on her... i know if i did.. i would bust something... ha ha... Hate to be all about the looks, but honestly.. thats the way its gonna be until i have TWO cars... cause if this one gets busted... Im phulked... that means, no work, no school... yeah... btw here are the rims that i was talking about for so long... hopefully i can mount them soon... peace...
          Attached Files

Comment

Dude, that T-Shirt is KILLER! Had me laughing for a good 10 mins...i'm still giggling...

Wheels look sweet, MOUNT UP!!

Comment

ha ha ha... oh btw.. that aint me in the pic... thats just some funny **** i found... brb

Comment

I'm looking for about a 1.5" drop... Am I going to have to buy struts???? Here we go with the money.... Let me know...

Another thing... if i do lower... what about camber??? I don't wanna have the end result look like a rice boi... with upper part of the wheel all saggin in..

Comment

I think you should get struts, the most recommeded I have heard are the ZX-2 struts. There is some good info here, but I would use a spring compressor, to take apart the stock springs:

I mean, the car is nearly 10 years old...if it has the original struts, they can't have much life to them, and lowering springs aren't too good for them. I think if you go with quality springs, you won't have any problem with negative camber. I have the eibachs (1"), and those aren't really a problem.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

you know just a set of tokico blues will do the job. with suspension Technique springs you will get a 1.25" drop. that is what i have. the Zx2's do involve some custom work to get installed.

whne you drop your car you will see a slight neg camber, but more importantly you will see some "toe" with your front tires.
                    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                    So his engine he goosed
                    With much too much boost,
                    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I will take your advice into some serious considerations guys...

I was talking to some dude the other day about his used eibach's... he has them on a 97 zx2... I was thinking about gettin them... real good price. Not sure if they will do the job though

11k miles

EIBACH 35/98 3584.002
                      EIBACH 49/98 3580.001

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                        you know just a set of tokico blues will do the job. with suspension Technique springs you will get a 1.25" drop. that is what i have. the Zx2's do involve some custom work to get installed.

whne you drop your car you will see a slight neg camber, but more importantly you will see some "toe" with your front tires.
                        Yes, I forgot to mention, get an alignment after you modify the suspension!!! It will help out with any tracking problems and stop premature wear. How much are the tokico blues, though, for 4 corners?

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                          How much are the tokico blues, though, for 4 corners?
                          About $400, which is why the ZX-2 SR struts are such a bargain, even if you do have to do a little work. The ZX-2 struts do give you a little camber (like 1 deg neg.) just by bolting them on, due to the lower holes being placed differently.

For just replacement shocks without going hardcore (the ZX2 struts are stiff), I recommend the KYB GR2s. Better than stock, last longer than the Tokico blues (which wilt if driven hard), and are about 1/2 the price of the Blues, and while they are more than the ZX2, you don't have tom modify anything.

Not sure if the ZX2 Eibachs would work on a Protege (don't know how much of a drop, or whether the upper spring perch is the same).
                          David Avard
                          '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                          '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                          '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Davard
                            About $400, which is why the ZX-2 SR struts are such a bargain, even if you do have to do a little work. The ZX-2 struts do give you a little camber (like 1 deg neg.) just by bolting them on, due to the lower holes being placed differently.

For just replacement shocks without going hardcore (the ZX2 struts are stiff), I recommend the KYB GR2s. Better than stock, last longer than the Tokico blues (which wilt if driven hard), and are about 1/2 the price of the Blues, and while they are more than the ZX2, you don't have tom modify anything.

Not sure if the ZX2 Eibachs would work on a Protege (don't know how much of a drop, or whether the upper spring perch is the same).
                            Yeah, I thought the tokico blues were pricey, my ZX2 struts were about $200, including the extra parts and shipping. I have not heard too much about the GR2s too much, thank you.

Comment

GR2s are valved tighter than stock, but I thought that they were less harsh and more controlled than the blues. More rebound and less compression for the shock guys.
                              David Avard
                              '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                              '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                              '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Working...
                              X