Your Turbo Kit Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Turbo Kit Problems

Alot of people have been talking about how they bombed their first turbo kits. Take the time to discuss what happened, or what you over looked, here. So that we all can learn from it.
    sigpic

I never had an problems with mine yet but I only have 45,000 on it so far but that seems enough to prove its durability. I just do regular maintenance and use proper octane. My kit was made by Essential Speed. I am pleased with it

Comment

Lets see... the first time around I didn't have an IC and I raced it... beat 3 quick cars but blew my sh$t up. Besides that... the thing I would mainly worry about with a turbo car is to make sure it is getting enough FUEL. I also didn't have gauges the first time around... and didn't know what the hell it was doing (boost, oil pressure, air/fuel). So I strongly suggest that you get everything you need the first time around or you will run into problems.
      -Robert
      '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

No offense, but DAMN! You had some huevos running that man!
        sigpic

Comment

i ran without a intercooler for a while too, but never really raced it. i tried to stay away from boost. getting a rx-7 fuel pump and you should be ok with fuel problems for a decent size turbo.
          James G.
          sobe83@yahoo.com
          AIM: DVS 323BPT
          MySpace
          Cardomain
          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

i dunno yet, but i have everything i need,from gauges, to intercooler to fmu, but ill let you know when i blow my engine what went wrong, lol
            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!
            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Yeah, the rx-7 fuel pump will provide you will all the pressure youll need on stock injectors. However, if you plan to run under 8psi you dont really need a fuel management computer. If you get the rx7 fuel pump and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator you can match your boost from 1-8psi with the right amount of fuel with simple adjustments. You'll only need a fuel management comp if you run on larger injectors, but you wouldnt need them unless you were going for high psi. For example my BP engine running 6psi i need to run around 90psi fuel pressure to match air/fuel at full boost. The rx-7 pump is suppose to be able to pump round 100psi safely. (Or so im told from the rx-7 forum)
              Just allittle tip for you people wanting to go turbo.
              sigpic

Comment

so if i wanted to get a rx-7 fuel pump for my setup would i want to get the turbo one or the regular one? should i just get a used one from ebay or get a new one?
                Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Youll want to get the turbo fuel pump. A used one will work fine and save you a alot. Im not too sure but werent all 93-95 rx-7's turbo?
                  sigpic

Comment

Sweet, so If i dont run more than 8psi (which I dont plan on doing right away) I wont need a Haltech??? How much boost is a stock gtx or gtr ecu good for?
                    Eat ****.

Comment

Turbo1g is running 15-16 psi on his GTX ecu

Comment

Well...my main problem with my turbo kit was...that I was a noob on turbos, I did know nothing, period.

Supposed to run 7psi, but right after installing it, first run....got over 20+psi.

few weeks later, 2 pistons were gone.

Click here for more Pictures of my car, engine and turbo stuff.

PIAA H3 Ion Fog Lights - Spool stage 3 kit - Eibach springs - MP3 RH Wheels - Custom 2.5in exhaust pipe- 3" DynoMax Racing Exhaust - Greddy EGT and A/F - AWR Motor Mounts - ACT Clutch Kit - DGM CF Front Air Dam
                        ***In-car Video***15.1s
                        ***In-car Video***15.3
                        Best run on 7psi: 14.97 @ 94.75Mph - 2.46 60ft

Comment

Originally posted by limpgtx
                          i ran without a intercooler for a while too, but never really raced it. i tried to stay away from boost. getting a rx-7 fuel pump and you should be ok with fuel problems for a decent size turbo.
                          I sent you a pm.
                          ----------

I know most people are scared to run their turbo without an intercooler. but the fact of the matter is, You can run the car without an intercooler safely as long as your engine is tuned right and you don't go ape-**** with the boost.
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by igdrasil
                            Well...my main problem with my turbo kit was...that I was a noob on turbos, I did know nothing, period.

Supposed to run 7psi, but right after installing it, first run....got over 20+psi.

few weeks later, 2 pistons were gone.
                            wow! 20 psi..
                            you must have drove with a hard on.
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

You can run a turbo without an IC and very reliably. Heres where everyone goes wrong, they spend thousands ona turbo kit or piece it together or whatever then they spend $20-500+ on a boost controller and just keep uppinng it till she goes boom.

Comment

Working...
                              X