• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHOW vs GO

Which is a prettier sight TO YOU?

Show?

Or go?

Out of personal experience, both have their obvious advantages and disadvantages.

A turbocharged car needs to be kept running at idle before being turned off to allow the oil to cool down. With the speed limits on these roads, more power makes it alot easier to get tickets, but otherwise, other than at the track at high stress to the car, there's no way of enjoying the extra power. Also, a highly tuned engine is very often MUCH more unreliable.

However, there is nothing like a fast car, and it's very easy to make our Proteges fast. We have the advantage of having full kits at stock replacement prices, and easily available. This makes it safer, cheaper and easier than many other cars to heavily modify the powerplant of a Protege.

And in the other corner: Show. I know I don't have to tell you all about the lack of available aftermarket body parts for our cars. Every part added to my car has been modified in some way to arrive at the present result. I have made these kits available to others, but all that did was make my car less unique, which believe me bothers me much more than I would have thought. Also, I had to buy another car to drive around, because my car can't get into most entrances and driveways. In an accident, even at slow speeds, a fiberglass bumper gets destroyed where a stock urethane bumper would leave with no more than a scratch. There are other disadvantages that I know of, like extra cop attention, but I'll stop at that.

Then there are the advantages. Well, let's just start we the posts some of you have made. You can't begin to understand how proud I feel when people express how much they like my car. It is an artistic expression that I have created to express myself originally and I just love cruising around knowing that my car looks good. Basically, the show aspect is great for stroking the ego.

All in all, I had a decision to make 2 years ago when I had a certain amount of time and money that I decided would be going into my car. 2 reasons made me choose show. I know more about bodywork, so would be able to do most of the work myself. The other reason is that my car was broken into and damaged, so I needed to do bodywork anyways.

I have no regrets, but if my car had'nt been damaged, I have no idea which road I would have chosen.

Let's get everyone's opinion on which is best. I know I have left out some pros and cons for each (jeez, this post is long enough as it is!!), so add your own.
    Show (Appearence)
    10.81%
    Go (Performance)
    89.19%
    Last edited by Bizob; 11-12-2003, 12:14 AM.
    Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

bob, u already have serious show mods. now back up that show with some serious go man. turbo

Comment

i can't vote. I like both. So I am trying to alternate my mods. Function, then form, then function, then form, etc.
      Tag Team

Comment

I used to be all about show. Recently though I have been more oriented towards go. I love this car and I want it to be faster, more powerful, and to handle like nobodies business. I've got the suspension almost done with front and rear upper strut braces, front and rear lower tie bars, and lowering springs. (Which I might trade out for eibachs, don't know yet) I still need struts, and possibly sway bars. As for the engine, Im leaning towards the KLZE swap w/5sp lsd tranny. I still want my car to look good though. I want the j-spec GTX front bumper, that will do me just fine. Looks good but not too extreme.

As for your car Bizob, I have mad respect. **** all the haters, your ride is freakin beautiful. It doesn't have to be hella fast, its still awsome!
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by red90protegelx
          bob, u already have serious show mods. now back up that show with some serious go man. turbo
          I just want to clear up my poll... I'm not asking what I should do to my car.... Any more stuff on the outside and it'll be overkill, and probably ugly.

I'm definately going to turbo the Pro as soon as time, budget and available parts allow. Probably this spring if I can save up enough over the winter. One thing's for sure, after some new rear calipers, not another penny is going onto this car until it's turbo'ed.
          Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

well, i did say if i had a choice. im not saying one is better then the other. its all personal preferance. example: i bought a 2000 eclipse. probably the best looking car on the road. however it is also the slowest (i lost to a TOYOTA CAMRY... I4!!!!!) as good as my car looked i got beaten by everything i lined up against. i got tired of this, and so im selling it and dropping about $5k into my protege's engine compartment. however, the 1g protege is a high revving little bastard right out the box. so you can back your looks up. my car has chipping paint, a torn headliner, dents everywhere, and the interior has 12 years of grunge on it... and they'll never see it coming!!!!!!!!

you have the advantage of being the best looking 1g protege anyones ever seen. now drop a turbo in it and make it the best 1g period.

p.s. AWD TOO!!!!! YAY!
            Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I like both. I think people usually tend to get more complimented on show vs go. Not only like out on the street (where less-knowledgeable people will know it LOOKS good, but could care less that you have a turbocharged engine with standalone management, or even know what that means), but also on these forums.

I too think Bob's car is probably the best looking first gen. It's not overly-crazy, but it looks clean in a modified sort of way. And for that I think he gets more recognition on here than say Adam with the GTR engine in his pro. Hell, there are a few 1st gen guys with the BPT swap and no one but me seems to go ape**** over them.
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

the hardcore 1g lovers do mr funkdaddy. the bpt guys are noticed and loved. o and how about the other robert, who has a turboed n/a block

Comment

Originally posted by red90protegelx
                  the bpt guys are noticed and loved.
                  Not to mention admired.
                  Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

As of right now I am all show. I just love doing car shows. But hopefully sometime in the next year I will have some go with a turbo.

Comment

Having a bodykit on your car does NOT increase your enjoyment of actually DRIVING your car. Nor does it make it any "better" objectively.

That's all I've got, and how I choose my modifications.
                      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES
                      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                          Having a bodykit on your car does NOT increase your enjoyment of actually DRIVING your car. Nor does it make it any "better" objectively.

That's all I've got, and how I choose my modifications.
                          To be honest, the bodykit actually decreases driving enjoyment. Because of the diminished ground clearence, you can't drive any which way or go anywhere, and you have to concentrate on the road surface to watch for big dips or bumps.

That being said, I would wear a wife beater and sweat pants and never comb my hair if I did'nt care about style, because that's what would be the most comfortable thing. The thing is, I do care about style and dress to impress, and to express my own style. I'm the same way with my car.

Which is why I still have not voted for this poll and will not, because they are of equal importance to me. I just want to see what the general consensus is on the forum. I'm also quite sure the result will be different in the 1st gen forum than it would be in a general forum.
                          Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

Go makes your car fun to drive.... And wins races. Show is what gets the ladies, tho. I say both.
                            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Bizob

That being said, I would wear a wife beater and sweat pants and never comb my hair if I did'nt care about style, because that's what would be the most comfortable thing. The thing is, I do care about style and dress to impress, and to express my own style. I'm the same way with my car.

Yeah, my priority is not to impress anyone. Cars are the same....as you can see by my plaid racing stripe that I had on the car during Nationals this year. I just think it was funny, and sorta to make fun of all the people who put big money into graphics on our "racecars" that we drive around cones with. Next year will be bigger, gaudyier, and probably more expensive...

Infact, yesterday was the first time I've bought clothes in about a year, and only because it's finally starting to get cooler, and my old hoodie sweatshirt has one too many holes in it.

I'd rather put in a good performance at a track than to look all special and then end up last. I'm there to have fun, but being competitive is important.
                              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES
                              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                              X