Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing GTR drivetrain into '93 SOHC auto

Hi,

I'm a RWD American muscle nut, so please bear with me (I do not know much about Protégés specifically, but I want to learn on this). I just finished installing an LS1 and six-speed into my 1978 Firebird. Now I'm eyeing my girlfriend's 1993 Protégé DX with its leaky, shaky old SOHC/Auto drive train.

We're looking at the GTR drive train. She loves her Protégé and does not want to replace the car, but would be willing to spend the cash to purchase a new setup and make it into a car she won't outgrow for a while (might dabble in autocross and drag racing in it as well as daily driving, just for kicks and to see what it can do :p: ). I have all necessary tools and experience to perform an engine swap.

What I'm not sure about is the transmission. She has the FWD automatic and would like to have the manual that will come with the GTR motor (her auto is slipping in 1-2 shift and can't be reused anyway). Is there any way to disable the rear wheel output of the transmission? I can only think that it would make sense to weld the center differential (effectively making a spool) that will force all power to the front wheels since there's nothing in the rear. There has to be a cleaner way. I might just have to get a FWD manual, but the swap comes with a transmission and I may as well try and use it.

Her car should be about as fast as mine by the time we're done, and I've spent three times what this swap is forecast to cost.

Tell me if you need more info. Thanks for any information you can provide,

So I'll need a FWD transmission then.

I'm assuming that I should put a better clutch in a FWD manual to handle the power, that right? Can I take the one from the GTR manual and use it?

We're planning on using the computer that comes with the engine. The GTR computer should be capable of working with a FWD manual also, right? I know my manual only has a vehicle speed sensor and a reverse light switch in the way of wiring. It shouldn't be a big deal, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the event we go automatic (off chance), are there any considerations we should watch for? Can they handle the extra power or will it go the way of the current auto even more quickly(ick).

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Your auto will die with the extra power and tq of the GTX/GTR (BPT I'll call it). If you can find a GTR engine, grab that sum bitch, but they are very rare (2500 made). GTX engine is also a great engine, though not as beefy as the GTR.

I do not believe the clutch will fix the FWD G-series tranny. ACT makes a good setup for this, runs about $300-400.

The ECU will be fine with just the FWD tranny, that's what everyone is running here.

Lastly, welcome to the board! Oh yea, and that LS1 swap must be WICKED! LS1 = droool!!!!
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

The LS1 is a lot of fun. It surprises people a lot, proof that you can't assume too much of what's under a hood. That's what this project is going to be about as well. Ultimate sleeper that can just be a daily driver as well.

I did not know the GTR motors were quite that rare (only 2500???). I know I can get one, but then again how can I be certain it is in fact a GTR and not a GTX (avoiding getting shafted with the cost). Is there a registry for information like that? Casting numbers for the different heads, blocks, and the like?

Assuming I purchase a complete front GTR clip with all the under hood stuff, I will also need.
        1.) FWD manual transmission, G-series is going to be needed
        2.) New mounts for the transmission and probably engine while I'm at it
        3.) Drive shafts (get them from the car donating the manual)
        4.) Upgraded clutch setup
        5.) Manual shifter/linkage (also from car donating the manual)

All new fluids, electrical connector repair stuff, all sorts of miscellaneous screws and bolt, little things I can get at a hardware store...

Anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
          the clutch and flywheel from the GT-R will work
          yes the ECU will work
          Sorry, I may have been thinking of the F series on a BP engine? Don't remember.

Yes, GTR motors are rare. I believe there is different stamping on the head, but I'm not sure. The turbo is a VJ-23 instead of a VJ-20 or VJ-20,21,22 from the GTX. Stolen from one of braden's posts:

RHF5-

VJ-20 is 90-94 1.8 GTX Japanese
          VJ-21 is 90-94 1.8 GTX European
          VJ-22 is 90-94 1.8 GTX Australian/European

RHB6-

VJ-23 is 92-94 1.8 GTR (All)

Another thing to think of down the line is putting the N/A BP head on the GTX or GTR engine. It flows much better, something like 30%, I hear 10-15whp + is not uncommon. That's probably more than you want to get into now, but it's a good idea eventually

Back off topic, got any pics of your firebird, I'm dying to see that thing!
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

U will also need a new fuel pump

Comment

Because of the manual transmission swap probably being the more difficult part of the swap, and being somewhat more urgent (the auto is making too much noise), we're gonna swap it to a manual first. Then we will recoup funds and do the GTR swap after we know the transmission is all settled in and we know it all works properly.

Comment

Originally posted by coleman
                http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mec2d/firebirdpics.htm

Because of the manual transmission swap probably being the more difficult part of the swap, and being somewhat more urgent (the auto is making too much noise), we're gonna swap it to a manual first. Then we will recoup funds and do the GTR swap after we know the transmission is all settled in and we know it all works properly.
                Sweet, my friend has a 77 bird with a 355. It's a 4-speed manual. Now to get it to pass smog.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

That's a sweet car, great job! Bet that thing goes a little bit faster than those gauges lead on
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

not too contridict anyone, but Level 10 has a really nice auto trans that I'm in the mix of right now. I really should just swap out and get the manual but I don't have a second car. I'm not good with transmission so I know it would take me a week or so to do the swap.
                    I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

Comment

The 4eat has no epc (electronic pressure control) until 98 so the computer cannot control the line pressure in the automatic tranny, it's controlled by the kickdown cable. Also raybestos powertrain is making kevlar high energy clutch for the 4eat and i'm researching if they are producing there blue plate clutch (extreme racing clutch) for it to. The torque converter go in any torque rebuilding facility and they should be able to make you a custom stall torque.
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/protila
                        Transmission mechanic

Comment

Would it make more sense to get the rear diff from a GTR/GTX and convert the Protege to AWD using the transmission that comes with the GTR engine, or should we get a front wheel drive manual and just have the front wheels pulling?

I know I would just need to dig around junkyards for the front wheel drive manual, but where can I get a rear differential and parts to convert to an AWD car (that are strong enough)? Either way, I think they'll cost about the same to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X