Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a 1st gen Protege LX w/240k Mi. What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 1st gen Protege LX w/240k Mi. What to look for?

I am going to check out a 1st gen lx protege with 240,000 miles on it. I know the tranny is bad but what should I look for otherwise? I want to make sure the engine is running strong and am thinking about checking the compression but what should would I really expect with 240k miles on it. The guy started at $300 for it but now he is sayin $200 will take it.

For that price there may not be much left...or there could be a lot...depends on the person. Make sure to ask about timing and water pump and **** and check the exhaust fumes to see if there be any oil burn. How bad is the tranny ****ed and why is it ****ed??? That could affect the engine somehow...240 000 is very high mileage so watch out..

Comment

general thing to look for aside..

these car have problems in the following area
      -radaitors crack usally on the top where the plastic is
      -altenators wear out and usally need rebuilt or a entire new one
      -the front frame peice(where the radatior set and the hood latches, look to see if its rusted away)

other than that look for the normal things and youll be fine
      No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

i just bought my first protege with 227,000 on it and I love it. If it runs good then go for it. I had to put a negetive cable and a cat back on it and it smokes a little on start up but other then that it is good
        "Speed Is Relative"
        91 Protege 1.8 sohc (soon dohc)
        2002 GSXR1000

Comment

Hehe, I see you have a Gixxer too. Those bikes are awesome! I am dreamin' of sellin my Ford Probe next summer for a gsx-600 or something simmilar.

I just bought the Protege I mentioned and the engine runs great. It has some HLA noise but not even as much as the kl-06 in my probe! (which only has 140,000 on it but was probobly driven much harder in it's lifetime than the Protege.) The car has power windows/mirrors and even a power sunroof! The paint is decent, very little rust around fenders.

The tranny is totaly blown on it though. I am pulling the transmision from the DX in the next few days and will hopefully have it installed in the LX next week.

**Milage update** Protege actually has 200k on it, not 240k
          Last edited by BlakProber; 11-19-2003, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X