What speakers should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What speakers should I get?

I have a 2002 protege with a kendwood kdc-mp5032 head unit and am looking for good speakers to go with it. Currently im not looking for an amp or for subs so i would like some speakers that give me a good range of sound but are also reasonably priced, around $300-$400 total. Ive been looking at the alpine type-r speakers and would like some feedback on weather or not they are good and what other options do i have.

so you've decided to run your new speakers on the power of the headunit ??? oh dear, you won't get far with that :\\\

i'd rather recommend to get some nice small 2channel amp and some decent speakers..
    Girls on Proteges

Comment

I currently am running a little short on money and thought that it would be more sensable to buy the speakers first before getting an amp and running that with the stock speakers. Once i get a few more paychecks i will most deffinatly get an amp.

Comment

ive never went wrong with pioneer.
        my cars

Comment

with 300-400 $, you can buy an amp+speakers.. no problem.. and they can be real good quality,also no problem.. i suppose you're not looking for some entry to a real high-end level, therefor you'd need so much more money anyway...

look at my sig...
          i got a used soundstream picasso amp for like 80 euros (~100$) and aiv/rainbow speakers for 88 euros [~110$] and this a really pleasant combination to listen to... some nice wiring for 50$ and you're good to go..
          Last edited by TStarGermany; 07-30-2006, 07:12 AM.
          Girls on Proteges

Comment

I purchased my Polk Component set for $130 on Ebay brand new and I have an amp, but haven't hooked it up yet, but I bought it new also for $60. If you're looking for front and rear speakers and don't want to do components, Polks' db650's, that's what I have in the rear and they sound great and run really well off the headunit only and can be purchased on Ebay brand new for around $55 a pair, which is half price.

Everything I've read though shows the Polk's to have the widest range for the money, the components I have are a great example with a range like that of $600 components sets and cost less than $200, the same can be said for the 2-ways.

Check Crutchfield.com for reviews and specs, then buy on Ebay from outstanding sellers, all of my car audio with the exception of the Sub and Amp were purchased on Ebay for this car and my last and I have never had an issue.

Good Luck.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Well ive decided to go with an amp and subs, but i still have one more question. Do i need to get more than one amp if i want to power my speakers with an amp or will one amp be good enough for the speakers and sub?

Comment

Originally posted by makz1522
                Well ive decided to go with an amp and subs, but i still have one more question. Do i need to get more than one amp if i want to power my speakers with an amp or will one amp be good enough for the speakers and sub?
                You'll want to get an amp(2 channel) for your subs and an amp(4 channel, or 2 channel if you want to run your rears off your headunit) for your speakers. I know many people don't trust Ebay, but look there, make sure you check feedback ratings and don't buy from a seller with less than a 99% feedback when it comes to this stuff. You should be able to pick up your subs and amp for around $300, then you might have enough left to get your 4 channel amp and probably one set of speakers, I personally would get a nice 12" sub, strong Mono Block Amp, and a 2 channel speaker amp with a set of speakers for the front for around $400, but I don't have many passengers, so rear sound isn't that important.

Good luck.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Lets say that i got an amp that has 70W rmsx4 at 4 ohms and my speakers run at 55W rms. Would anything bad happen to my speakers because of the extra power going to it or can the speakers safely handle it?

Comment

i wanted to know the answer to that same question, does anyone have the answer?
                    1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
                    exhaust tip
                    lx gauge cluster
                    cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit
                    kenwood 1660s 6.5" front speakers
                    kicker DS60 6.5" rear speakers
                    2 MTX Roadthunder 12" subs in custom sealed boxes
                    Profile AP700M mono sub amp (350 watts RMS)

Comment

dont spend your money on a small amp you dont even need. you dont need an amp just to run your hi's, you have a pretty good head unit and it will have enough amps push em. all you need is a 2 channel amp. subs, and a bass control switch so you dont blow your 6x9's when you turn the bass up on the head unit. they bass control will let you control your subs seperate from all of you other speakers and its well worth it, and easy to install.

Comment

Originally posted by makz1522
                        Lets say that i got an amp that has 70W rmsx4 at 4 ohms and my speakers run at 55W rms. Would anything bad happen to my speakers because of the extra power going to it or can the speakers safely handle it?
                        Not if your careful. If you hear distortion on your speakers then your over the speakers max and will possibly blow if you don't crank them down. Remember you don't run said wattage max all the time. Its like a turbo. It creates said boost, etc. depending on amount of throttle and of course rpm dependent too but that just makes it more confusing for this comparision!
                        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Having extra power is ideal, just set the gains right and enjoy the lower distortion.

Comment

so far, running on my stock radio still, i like the kenwood 1660s speakers in the front, from crutchfield they were very easy to install except that i had to screw the mounting bracket to the car first, then the speaker to the bracket. i'll post more once i get a new headunit, but overall i like them. not a huge amount of bass but like i said stock headunit probably makes a difference there.

crutchfield said these were the only ones that fit the front speaker spots, are they right? not to second guess myself i just wondered for other people's sake
                            1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
                            exhaust tip
                            lx gauge cluster
                            cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit
                            kenwood 1660s 6.5" front speakers
                            kicker DS60 6.5" rear speakers
                            2 MTX Roadthunder 12" subs in custom sealed boxes
                            Profile AP700M mono sub amp (350 watts RMS)

Comment

Originally posted by danielb927
                              so far, running on my stock radio still, i like the kenwood 1660s speakers in the front, from crutchfield they were very easy to install except that i had to screw the mounting bracket to the car first, then the speaker to the bracket. i'll post more once i get a new headunit, but overall i like them. not a huge amount of bass but like i said stock headunit probably makes a difference there.

crutchfield said these were the only ones that fit the front speaker spots, are they right? not to second guess myself i just wondered for other people's sake
                              Any 5.25" speaker will fit in the front doors. I have Kicker's myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X