Any1 have the UR lightened flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any1 have the UR lightened flywheel

Does anyone have the UR lightened flywheel? If so, what are your thoughts on it?
    sigpic

the only reason to get a 9 lb fly wheel is if you're dragging it. if its a daily driver why not just shave off a couple pounds off your stock one. the other route on a DD will ruin your tranny.
    Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
    FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
    Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

how are they bad for your tranny?

i know that they are good for your engine main bearings because they are lighter, so less wear is going to happen to that bearing.
      theres less resistance on them because they dont have as heavy of a weight on them

they will make your engine rev's build up quiclky, and drop off quickly
      good for quick downshifts, bad for slow upshifts as u fall out of the powerband

also more clutch burning is required to take off in first gear

but also the power difference will make itself known in first and second gear mainly

and with the steering wheel turned, with the pedal on the floor, in first gear will definately lead to massive tire smoke with your open differential

i will be gettin the UR clutch and flywheel package

Comment

also throttle response will be beautiful
        and it would be good for autocrossing

and for turbos, in first and second gear you would build boost quicker as you are revving quicker

Comment

and as said before on this board, it puts added stress on the tranny... Why not just shave a few lbs off the factory.
          ahhh idon't know... what ever works for you bro
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ive tried to search for it, i cant find it tho...
            what part of the tranny does it put added stress on?

Comment

It does make sense in a way. With a lightene flywheel your car revs faster and creates more power. The increased speed in which the gears turn might put some stress on them. But it doesnt make sense to me why people say just lighten the stock flywheel instead of getting a new one. If you lighten the stock it will put more stress on the tranny too. the only down fall i have heard of with a lightened flywheel is that its harder to take off slower.(like going through a drive through window or bumper to bumper traffic- that becomes a bitch)But i have to say ive never heard anyone say that it fugs your tranny. But to me the bottom line is: 530 is way too much to pay for that kind of gain. So might as well stick with stock anyway.
              sigpic

Comment

How does it create more power?

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

It takes weight off the crankshaft. Well not directly but the flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft so it takes weight off from what it would be stock. Taking weight off increases hp. Same thing as a light weight crank pulley. Theres an average of like 2hp gained for every pound taken off the crankshaft. Something like that.
                  Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 11-19-2003, 06:01 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

you can find info on www.miata.net.

There are a few discusions there arbout if the flywheel helps the car produce power or not.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

not more hp to the fly, but less drive train lose =ing more hp to the wheels
                      Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
                      FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                      Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Well its all theory now, and it will be until someone actually buys one. So until then, no one will know 100% what effect it will have on our cars. So lets find out. . .
                        sigpic

Comment

i'm planning a swap so stay tuned...

okay,
                          i'm planning a swap, 1.5 to 1.8. so i'm saving cash for all the neccesary parts. and this includes a lightened flywheel. so i think it'd be a worthwhile investment, well sorta. but i'd be cool to just say i have one.lol
                          but yeah they do free up horsepower. dyno's have proven them. but the added horsepower might not be as pronounced on the protege as on other high-output hp cars. get my drift? also they allow for quicker revving, which is cool.
                          but some clutch slippage might be neccesary when drag racing. but this would be great for auto-xing. so it has its ups and downs like everything else in this world.
                          jmo's and thoughts.
                          late
                          Almost there

jdm tails... check
                          jdm bumper... check
                          ms lip... check
                          ms grill... check
                          ms sideskirts... check
                          ms rear skirts... check
                          ms spoiler... check
                          ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                          Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
                            Well its all theory now, and it will be until someone actually buys one. So until then, no one will know 100% what effect it will have on our cars. So lets find out. . .
                            I told you www.miata.net.
                            I read about this already over there

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

*SIGH* Does the miata have the same tranny as a protege. Oh,ok. I didnt think so.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X