Jesse brings a good point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesse brings a good point

Jesse has a good point about valve clearance on my car. For those of you who don't know I did 10:1 Miata pistons in my dx with my milled ported and polished head. I have no idea what the clearence is and my engine builder doesn't remember. All he said was that it was close. I don't know. Should I consider swaping over to a dohc head now? If so, what all is involved and should I pull the motor and do the manual trans conversion at the same time. How much time and money should this take if I do it all myself? Thanks guys.
    I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

I take it your cars an auto.
    Well you put all that time and effort in milling the head, you might as well use it. How does it run?
    I would just recomend switching the car over to a 5speed.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I runs good over all. It idols rough and eratically (sp) but she goes. I had a guy at work hook me up with a S-AFC along with my Venom 400. I think that could be a problem. It seems like you have to opposites trying to fight the fuel map. I don't know. He doesn't think it's a problem.
      I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

Venom 400 won't do crap on a Protege ECU. As soon as it clicks over to closed loop, the Venom can't do anything. It only works at partial throttle.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

I see, so should I run the afc only, or keep the 400 for just off idle. I guess the it was an expensive mistake.

Comment

AFC shouldn't work either...same reason. Closed loop defeats it.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

so there is nothing I can do to both monitor and control the a/f ratio electronically?

Comment

Full standalone, like Haltech
                Eat ****.

Comment

I don't know man. That seems a little intense for a sohc. Maybe I can justify it though. I'm building another BP01 with regular Miata pistons and am going to attempt a turbo. I have a lead on a guy in a town near mine who will build that manifold I've been talking about. I think I'll have to learn tranny's fast and get my slopbox auto out. Screw Level 10. 3400 bucks is a lot of money for an auto trans. Although... you can shift like a manual, only loose 9% from the flywheel, bullitproof, and can tranny brake...

Comment

I doubt that you lose only 9% from the flywheel.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I'm a little doubtfull too, but that's what they're pitching.

Comment

on average you lose 17.3% from the flywheel.
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Yeah, that's how I understand it too. They say that with there transmission due to the clutch packs, valves, and electronics you will loose even less power than any manual transmission out there. That is what made me so interested.

Comment

the power lossed is due to FRICTION.... be it a lack of(clutch) or excess of. now if they have found a way to get rid of friction i would LOVE to hear it. there are people doing doctorates on the subject, but billy-hick and his slack jaw buddy have figured it out. no offence but tread carfully, remember the phrase if it sounds to good it probably is.

And there is only power loss during clutch slip, if you clutch has locked the how are you losing power through it...? the 17% is from a running engine, as in the clutch and flywheel are locked.
                            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                            So his engine he goosed
                            With much too much boost,
                            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

The other advantage of an automatic tranny is the time it takes to shift. We are starting to build one where i work for my protege. I had a manual tranny this summer and made my fastest run at 13.6 with the gtx engine all stock at 10psi. For next year we have started to work on a garret t4 set-up for the engine. It's pretty shure that we are going to break the tranny sometime but hey that's in the game of going fast, has long has i don't break the engine i'm going to be glad.
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/protila
                              Transmission mechanic

Comment

Working...
                              X