A Neon Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Neon Problem

I installed a neon light kit in my car's interior and love 'em but see they are cigarette lighter adapted and i want at least two more(by the way I have a Y adapter for the two up front) what can i do for the other two i want to put in the rear?
    Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

you can eliminate all the cig lighter plugs and hard wire them to the car with a master switch. Or multiple switches if you want to isolate different neons.

You can hook em up to the parkinglights....the dome light....the radio's amp turn on lead, so they come only when the radio is on...there's all kinds of possibilities. So don't worry about the lighter plugs, plus it'll put alot less strees on the cig lighter circuit to boot.

Comment

What I did was remove the power source for the lite up ring that goes around the cig. lighter.

Its behind the center console on the driver side infront of the gas pedal. Its a stab connector. It has both a red and black wire running into it. I clipped off the stab connector, then stripped the wires back. I wired the red to red and black to black.

Now your neons will come on when ever the parking/headlights are on.

If you want to do like Darryl said and find a 12v power source and wire up a switch and a ground for them. You can do one master switch for all of them, or as many switches as you need.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions post and let us know.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Didnt think about this until after I posted, but what gen do you have, the above location is for the first gen. Dunno about any other gens.

Comment

1st gen.
          Sandon Davis

Comment

PLEASE make sure to fuse the power wires to these if you decide to hardwire them into the car.

Yes, the car's fusebox should be adequate protection. However, MUCH better safe than sorry. Ever notice that you have a fuse for the radio in the fuse box, but nearly ALL aftermarket stereos come with their own fuse? Cheap protection.

~HH

Comment

hihoslva makes an excellent point. I always put an inline fuse on anything I wire in.

Makes no sense for 20 bucks in neon lights to damage some electronics or the car itself.

You can usually get these at all auto parts stores

Comment

can get an inline fuse from radio sahck for like $3 all you have to buy it and splice the wires together comes with the fuse also.. think there are 2 to a pack

Comment

Can I add a fuse to the fuse block on the inside of the car? Good/bad idea?

I don't have anything in my car that requires this, but it might be something to think about in the future.

I think adding fuses to the fuse block would be a lot 'cleaner' and nice.
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

here's a relay diagram i had made up for another member awhile ago, it may or may not be of help, but here it is anyway...

This will turn on the neons, when
                    A- the door is opened
                    B- the parkinglights are turned on
                    C- the switch is turned on

OH, where it says "12v parking light FLASHER input" it should just say "12v Parkinglight input"
                    Attached Files

Comment

I stripped the wires on my neon set up and hot glued them together to on plugin. (2x12, 2x6 blacklights, 1x15) Works perfectly
                      <-why i can't fix my car

http://www.revtvguam.com
                      AFwestPunk's AutoJam Imagestation photo album! You better have High speed internet!

Comment

the same principle would apply to neon lights outside under the car right i have been juggling this idea around for quite some time now to determine if they are considered rice or not . but back to the subject i'll have to ground them fuse them and splice them is there any thing else i need before i do this i really want to make sure that i have everything i need before i do this. my step dad also mentioned splicing into the head lights how would that work?
                        Sandon Davis

Comment

yes, inside, outside, on top, under, all the same. But connections and wire runs take extra care.

to have them come on with the headlights, use the relay above, but sub the parkinglight input for headlight input.

Comment

honestly, i wouldn't tap the fuse box for anything ESSENTIAL to driving safety.. ie not to your tail lights or headlights. you don't even have to buy much of anything if you're just looking to do a quick job of it, there are inline fuses built into the cigarette adapter itself or in the neon light itself. and even so, individually fusing each neon is something i would recommend. while neon lights don't pull that much power, you must keep in mind this isn't a perfect world, and you run a serious risk of your wires shorting out if you're not careful. your BEST bet is to just head to walmart, pepboys or autozone (no, i'm not being sarcastic) and picking up a splitter mechanism that will allow for 4 cigarette adapter plugs be tapped into it. most of them on the market are a switchable power source, can easily be hidden under the center part of the dash between the driver and passenger side, underneath the radio.. wires can be hidden here as well.. just use your imagination. this isn't the most 'safe' way of going about it, as extended use (over 3 hours) could cause something to burn up, but ****, won't take you more than 15 minutes to wire up.. it's literally.. Plug-and-Play.
                            peace

Comment

I woudl just run more wire to the rear neon then to the cigarette lighter I did, I got 4 12in neons runin to my cigarette lighter
                              Ratrod

Comment

Working...
                              X