Warped rotors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warped rotors??

"Smiley" my '01 Mazda Protege 2.0 LX has "warped rotors". She has a vibration in the front end while breaking, especially when the breaks are warm or when i'm going down hill. The issue is mildly annoying although no horrific yet. I want to go have this issue fixed, but need to be informed before I go have some mechanic tell me that I need $100's or $1000's of dollars of work done for resurfacing or replacing. I'm female so mechanics tend to feed me a longer line of **** than they would for most men!

A google search brought up some interesting articles that rotors DON'T warp, while other articles swear they do. Both insights make sense. So which is it?!?!

Someone inform me please?! Warped or not? Resurfaced or replaced? WHY? Any help is appreciated!

J

According to StopTech, majority of the time the 'vibration' felt is uneven pad material dispersion or a crack. Cracks can happen because its a poor quality rotor, its been over worked, or if its below its minimum thickness. Uneven pad material dispersion can happen because it was overheated or it wasnt broken in properly.

If the rotor is cracked it needs replacement. If it is 'warped' or if it has uneven pad material dispersion, it COULD potentially be fixed using the correct techniques, however you would need a competent technician to be able to do that.

Resurfacing is not usually the best idea unless its a last resort, because it still costs money, it shortens the life of the rotor, and it decreases its ability to absorb heat.

Take your car in and get them to provide you with some prices. Expect them to potentially say that you need:
    - new pads
    - brake service
    - new rotors/machined rotors

Get a price on what it would cost to replace the rotors, and what it would cost to machine the rotors, and see whats worth it to you. Keep in mind since your current rotors are already old, machining them is just going to decrease their life even more... so I think its safe to say that after the machining most likely that rotor will see half of the life of a brand new one. I suggest replacing them if you also need new pads.

If you do not need new pads, then maybe machining the rotors would be the way to go, because you could then replace the rotors when you go in to replace the pads next time, to save on labour.

You should take your car in for a brake service every year, regardless if you feel you need it or not. If you do more than 20,000kms a year, then it should go in for 2 brake services a year.

Are your brakes experiencing any other probelms? (low pedal height, soft pedal... ?)

Comment

Expect between 1-2 hours labor for a front end brake service. Any more than 2 and you're being ripped off.

Comment

true anymore than 2 she is being ripped off. Do you have any guy friends or do you yourself feel confident to do some simple mechanical work. brakes are very easy and cheap to do. If you wanna do it yourself buy new rotors and pads for the front (should be around 150 to 200) and do it yourself. its really easy.

Comment

There's nothing more that I can tell is wrong with the breaks. The car only has about 35,000 miles on it so I could not see the breaks as being OLD. Last service (two thousand miles ago) the guy told me I still had about 10,000 miles left on the break pads but that I had slightly "warped rotors".

My bro "supposedly" is gods gift to cars but i'm reluctant to let him touch my car with a 10 foot pole, for fear that I or my car might die.

I need new tires and want new rims anyhow so maybe I should just suck it up and buy everything online and do it myself.

Comment

Hi again...I personally can't see rotors being warped at just 35k [unless you've literally driven with one foot on the brake and one foot on the accelerator] most likely this a worn tire or tire balancing issue. Worn tire[s] could be a sign of poor alignment [also would add to the vibration]. Did you buy this car new or did someone else drive before you bought it ? If you want, I'll take some pictures of how to disassemble and reassemble front brakes and post them for you...I've got a 94 LX on jackstands already and I'm pretty sure the brakes are about the same...
            If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

...or pictures of my 99 ES...by the way, this is a Protege' we're talking about isn't it...
              If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

Yes a '01 protege LX 2.0. Purchased brand new (22 miles on it) and I don't drive with one foot on the brake.

At 32K miles I had a service and the guy told me I had "slightly warped rotors" and that I needed new tires (which he supposedly rotated the old ones). I can see the tires need to be replaced but obviously don't know a thing about what a warped rotor looks like or how to measure it myself.

The vibration has gotten progressively worse... which leads me to believe it's brakes. Also it's a slower vibration when driving slower and faster when i'm slowing down from a higher speed (freeway/highway exit ramps). It's worse braking on a down hill slope or if I brake semi-hard and ONLY when I use the brake.

Still could be an imbalance/misalignment? I'm going to take it in for an eval this week if I can find someone competent enough to do it. I'm terrified of mechanics now.

Comment

Eatin' my words

Unfortunately, I know mechanics who brag that "they get paid for what they know...not for what they do!" I just spoke to my brother who runs a chain oil change place [Express Oil...I don't know if they have stores all the way out to the west coast] anyway he said all it would take was to have gotten the rotors hot one time and then hit a puddle and they would have warped...He also so said most likely they could be "turned" meaning having them machined back flat rather than replacing them [and that the brake pads could still be good themselves]...much cheaper and pretty much standard procedure in your situation...sorry about the wrong observation on some of my post, what you're describing is in fact warped rotors but this is something that can be fixed at a reasonable price...If you can, post what the price is you're quoted on having this done and I'm sure the folks on Club Protege' would let you know if the're too much...Also it's a good idea to have the alignment checked when you get new tires...Peace...

Comment

Okay so the saga goes on!

Several questions I have here after I explain what happened. Took my car to Les Schwab and they gave me a pretty good quote I think. $234 and that includes a bunch of stuff I don't want to deal with including bleeding brakes, new calipers, etc. Plus they're doing my rims and tires for the same price that I found online $1200 for the set of four including all labor (The guy must have thought I was hot or helpless).

Questions...

1. The guy says I have 20% left on my front brake pads (but couldn't approximate mileage). Dude told me 2-3 months... but doesn't know how much or little I drive my car (about 30 miles per day). Approximately how much mileage do I have left on 20%?

2. I have a "hot spot" on one of my brake rotors to which the guy is saying it needs to be replaced (but they're only replacing one). What's a hot spot and how do you get 'em? AND Isn't it smarter to replace both brake rotors?

3. Regarding wheels and tires... I'm flip floppin' between 16 inch or 17 inch wheels. Any thoughts or suggestions? The price I was quoted was for 16 inch but I'm second guessing now that i'm at home where I have time to think. Currently have 15's on the car, how much more handling am I going to get moving up to 17's? Worth it?

4. Wheels and tires 2... Is there a difference between chrome plated or painted wheels? The guy doesn't have any polished finish that I like. Anyone have issues with painted rims or chrome rims?

I think that's it for now!

Comment

Beyond Warped...

Did the guy say he was going to replace the calipers for $234? This sound questionable, they are fairly expensive and given what you've posted shouldn't be the problem...However replacing just one rotor won't hurt, I guessing the "hot spot" is where the rotor is warped beyond repair [turning them flattens them back out so they don't "wobble"] and he's turning the other one. If 20% is all that left on the pads I'd go ahead and have them replaced while having the rotors done...as for the labor involved it's not too bad, but I can understand letting someone with experience do it because the only thing worse than a car that won't go is one that won't STOP!!! So needless to say the brakes are really the most important part on a car and you can't afford to make a mistake...If you can get the rotors fixed and new pads for the $234, I'd say that's a pretty fair deal...As for tires and rims, that more Jho or Lisa territory...I mostly know maintenance stuff...Good Luck...

Comment

Yeah the $234 is for changing the calipers, brake pads, bleeding breaks, labor and a new rotor. As stated in the quote...

Front Disc passenger car brake job (parts) $106
                        Brake Labor $88.95
                        Brake Rotor $20.35

From what the guy told me parts include new fluids, calipers, new brake pads as noted on the Les Schwab website found here... http://www.lesschwab.com/brakes/front_service.asp

I shouldn't just replace both rotors?

Comment

Originally posted by Janetsplanet
                          Yeah the $234 is for changing the calipers, brake pads, bleeding breaks, labor and a new rotor. As stated in the quote...

Front Disc passenger car brake job (parts) $106
                          Brake Labor $88.95
                          Brake Rotor $20.35

From what the guy told me parts include new fluids, calipers, new brake pads as noted on the Les Schwab website found here... http://www.lesschwab.com/brakes/front_service.asp

I shouldn't just replace both rotors?

Plus tax is what gets us to $234

Comment

He's using bottom of the line rotors, pads, and calipers on your car... just so you know.

Also, never change just one rotor... do both.

The labour cost sounds fair.

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                              He's using bottom of the line rotors, pads, and calipers on your car... just so you know.

Also, never change just one rotor... do both.

The labour cost sounds fair.

What should I ask for then?

Comment

Working...
                              X