MX3 BP swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX3 BP swap

i am at the shop right now the car is going to be started on at like 5pm here, i blew the b6 axles and diff, so **** it, i am going to drop the BP from my 94 pro into it, kinda an expensive fix but hey i get a BP, anybody know of any parts that i will need that dont come off of either the 1995 MX3 1.6L DOHC with 5speed and the donor car is a complete 1994 Protege LX with a 5speed and BP, any troubles we should know about thanks alot

Originally posted by tunerguy
    i am at the shop right now the car is going to be started on at like 5pm here, i blew the b6 axles and diff, so **** it, i am going to drop the BP from my 94 pro into it, kinda an expensive fix but hey i get a BP, anybody know of any parts that i will need that dont come off of either the 1995 MX3 1.6L DOHC with 5speed and the donor car is a complete 1994 Protege LX with a 5speed and BP, any troubles we should know about thanks alot
    engine, tranny / axles, harness, ecu, thats it. good luck
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

what about motor mounts and ****??

Comment

Originally posted by tunerguy
        what about motor mounts and ****??
        the id use the one from the BP to be sure, but mine from the 323 fit with my bp so who knows
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Yes you have to use the motor mounts... good luck!

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
          Member of MX-3.com
          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

LX speedo gear, LX half shaft.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

How difficult is it to install the speedo gear and what happens when you dont use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yanni
                  How difficult is it to install the speedo gear and what happens when you dont use it.
                  1x 10mm nut.... un-bolt it and twist that mofo out of there.

The F series (tranny in your MX-3 and 323's and DX protege's) uses a speedo gear that is of a different length than the one found in the LX and other G series transmissions. Some have used a spacer to *make* it work, but if you have the LX part, just go ahead and install it yourself. Hell you have to remove it if you need to refil the tranny with fluid after removing it anyways.

No speedo cable is bad. Not only would it leave a hole for dirt to get into to contaminate the tranny fluid, it would also not move the gear in the cluster leaving you without knowing your speed. The mileage of the car I think is also based off of this gear, although I cant be 100% on that. If it is, then your tampering with the odometer, which is a serious offense.
                  The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

If I am using a EGT tranny do i still need the "LX" speedo gear? This whole subject is confusing me. Also there is no cable going to the back of my speedo, it is electric not mechanical.
                    If you could please try to explain this speedo gear thing a little better. I am having a brain fart and cant seem to understand it right now.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yanni
                      If I am using a EGT tranny do i still need the "LX" speedo gear? This whole subject is confusing me. Also there is no cable going to the back of my speedo, it is electric not mechanical.
                      If you could please try to explain this speedo gear thing a little better. I am having a brain fart and cant seem to understand it right now.
                      Thanks.
                      Being a '95 MX3 yours should be an electronic speedo... so if you put an EGT tranny in that's older and that was previously cable(mechanical) driven, then you need to shim your electronic speedo gear cause it sits too low in the tranny.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                      Member of MX-3.com
                      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

well guys we are trying to figure out the speedo gear prob, we have everything ready and we will be finishing the swap monday, well actually starting and finishing in about 5hours, haha badass right, 700 plus all the parts equals BP MX3 i think an Si for lunch would be nice

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

when i did my Pro LX trans swap, i mada a shim out of 1/2" Plexi. and used silicone on both ends, never had a problem. the plexy is really easy to shape the way you want it with a dremill
                            Josh
                            95' AWD MX-3 RST - Still a work in progress
                            05' MS RX-8 - Needing some love in the form of a new motor, soon to be FE3 powered
                            Work Log - http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53776
                            Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
                            Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-...37983472959216

Comment

well its not done, the shop had a few probs with my car going before customers that were on a 3month wait, haha, well its going to be done on Monday, just have to get a wiring diagram from Mazda, the boss man wants to make it look better than a factory job, so i'll let him, i get it all for under $1000

BP Motor/tranny/ecu everything= Free
                              new stage one axles= $168.57
                              gasket material/o-rings=$21.39
                              labor= $800

he is also gonna fix my pacesetter exhaust from my pro and make it fit the mx as well as building me a cat delete and tuning the car, this should be a mean beast.

Intake, Header, Exhaust, BP, MSD Coil, RPMz dizzy, NGK plugs and wires they are guessing, 140ish at the wheels, this is the first Mazda BP swap in my area too, my car is one of two mazdas that are customers at the shop, and the other doesnt have pistons. also anyone know of a place that i can find some 60-80duro motor mount inserts to replace the rubbery stock ones thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X