new front stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new front stage

i think i've finally decided on what i want to do for a new front setup i'm going to build some kick panels and put some 5.25" components in them. i am probably going to try out the type R alpines, since they are $150 off onlinecarstereo.
    i've found them for $140 on e-bay, but then add the $20 shipping it's cheaper from onlinecarstereo. as for extra mid-bass up front, i'm going to try a set of these 8's. i can pick them up for $30 each, and they've got nice specs
    to amp everything, i'm thinking about trying us acoustics. the USP200 for $50. i'll start with one amp for the alpines and one amp each for the subs. so the alpines will be getting 65 watts each, and the subs will be getting 160 watts each. if the components aren't getting enough power, i can always get another amp and run 160 watts to each side so for a total of $360, i think i'll have a really solid front setup:p: it'll take a bit of fiberglassing, but once it's done it'll be sweet

With those 8's up front it will sound great. Drums will hit you in the legs hard.
    2k4 Rally White Mazda 3 Hatchback

Sound By CDT , powered by DLS-CA23
    Bass by Elemental Design, powered by HIFONICS

Comment

Bout damn time you are listening to me and getting type R's :D

Comment

also on your power ratings... the type R's cant handle 160 watts only 140. so that might be bad yo

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
          also on your power ratings... the type R's cant handle 160 watts only 140. so that might be bad yo

hehe, you still have so much to learn young grasshopper just cause it says it can only handle 140 watts doesn't mean you can't feed it more not to mention they won't be recieving freq's below about 300-400 hz, so they won't be pushed very hard. and it's not like i'll have the gain all the way up on the amp, and the volume at the highest setting on the HU:p: it's all about proper adjustment and i chose the type R's cause the price was right, and i liked how they sounded in my friend's car.

Comment

i've ordered everything except the 8's right now, and i just bid on an audio control 4XS to control everything, since i can customize all the x-over points by changing out some resistors

Comment

I knew that you could do it but I didnt know that you were only goin to have it on those higher feq. only.... cuz I made a mistake(and so did the shop) by putting 150 to each and ran the HU at 20 vol. with a bass sweep and blew the speakers.....I didnt have to pay for the speakers but decided to hold off on the amp for now but since its only 300 and up then you should be fine

Comment

that's another problem, using sine waves and bass sweeps. regular music doesn't have the perfectness of them, so it will push the speakers/subs way harder than music you can crank a sub for 20 minutes at full volume with music no problem, but hit it with a sine wave and you've got a really high chance of burning it up after a very short period of time. i might run the components as low as 200 hz, but i'll have to do some testing to decide that's what i love about the audio control 4XS, i'll have a few resistor configurations to change the x-over freq's really easy and precisely:p:

Comment

coolio

Comment

whats the benifit of using the 4xs over just a normal adjustable crossover unit that has knobs?
                    '02 classic red p5
                    currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

the word sounds more impressive (i dont have a clue)

I think its just another toy for blue to play with so that he will look cool to make up for his small pp

jk blue!

Comment

Originally posted by walight01
                        whats the benifit of using the 4xs over just a normal adjustable crossover unit that has knobs?

i've always loved audio control products. they are extremely high quality and i decided to try it, because audio control uses an internal bank of resistors to set each x-over point. so if i want to change it, i don't have to worry about testing to make sure the x-over point is right, i just take the top off, and swap out the x-over module. that way i get precisely the x-over point i want. i really wanted one of their digital ones, but i'm not about to shell out $400+ for it

Comment

how are the alpines? better or worse or compareable to CDT quality? and blue, where would u be putting the 8s? in the front or like in the middle behind the seats near the the back doors?

Comment

Originally posted by dafoo21
                            how are the alpines? better or worse or compareable to CDT quality? and blue, where would u be putting the 8s? in the front or like in the middle behind the seats near the the back doors?

IMO they are very close. the 6.5" CDT's for $150 are great, but they don't have such a good deal on the 5.25's the alpines fit the budget and i like how they sound the 8's are going in the front doors i'm deciding now if i am going to enclose them, or basically run them free air. i want to enclose them, so when i take my main sub out, they will play lower

Comment

yay alpine

Comment

Working...
                              X