front end clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front end clunk

I've got a noise coming from the front driver's side when I go over a bump. Any kind of bump will pretty much do it. Kind of a popping/groaning noise. I would guess its the ball joint but I really have no idea. Any diagnostic help out there? Is changing the ball joint a complete PIA?

In reality I've had this noise for a very long time, its just getting worse now, I think.

Yeah, that kind of sound is usually not the ball joint. The first things I would consider is the tie rod or strut mount. Another possibility is the stabilizer bar's end link. Either the bushings have worn away or the complete bolt may have now broken. Check those first. The ball joint has more of a problem with a whinning or squeaking noise as you steer from left to right and other similar sounds but not like the one you're explaining. The strut mount is the hardest since it's way up there so you would check the others first. Sometimes the damage is obvious looking it at it from the top with the hood open but once I had it being the problem and it look perfectly healthy from the top. I changed everything and nothing worked. I changed it and problem was gone.
    Last edited by mannydingo; 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info. I'll try and get the car on a lift later this week. I really hope its not the strut mount. I have no desire to take that apart.

Comment

Originally posted by xzjn9p
        thanks for the info. I'll try and get the car on a lift later this week. I really hope its not the strut mount. I have no desire to take that apart.
        I don't blame you. Not only that but when I tried to do it on my car, I couldn't. Taking off the whole strut/coil/mount assembly is not hard at all. In fact, it's a piece of cake. Trying to take off the mount from that assembly is another story. First you need a spring compressor and second, you need an air compressor and air gun. You see, as you try to take that center nut at the very center top of the mount off, the whole strut shaft spins along with it. I tried holding that shaft even with a vice-grip to no avail. I took the whole assembly I had removed to a guy with a shop. He asked me to hold the shaft just with my hands through in between the coils. He turned the nut with the air gun and it came off like a breeze. You need that fast, sudden turn that the speed of an air gun provides. Who knows, maybe some nuts haven't been tightened as much and can be taken off with no compressor. I now have a compressor, though.

Comment

i changed the springs on my old wrx so I know that job is no fun. Luckily if it comes down to it I can do the work in a shop.

Comment

sounds like a cv joint...mine has been doin it a while now...
            MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege
              sounds like a cv joint...mine has been doin it a while now...
              I don't agree. The CV joints either go click, click or have a bass/low-end scraping sound. Not impossible but highly unlikely.
              Last edited by mannydingo; 09-14-2006, 10:43 AM.

Comment

no mine when i hit a bump sound like they are poopin the bottom of the car lol...
                MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

no mine when i hit a bump sound like they are poopin the bottom of the car lol...
                  Not entirely impossible but how do you know it's the CV joints on your vehicle?

Comment

its been diagnosed by several mechs in my area...i mean im not an idiot when it comes to this sort of work...lol
                    MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

its been diagnosed by several mechs in my area...i mean im not an idiot when it comes to this sort of work...lol
                      You must be wrong. You're even incorrect about not being an idiot.

Don't worry. I believe you. I just never had a CV act that way to damage or wear. I actually had one completely fall apart on me. I mean completely.

Comment

i thought when a CV joint went bad it was more of scraping noise too or sounds kind of like a bad bearing.

I'm putting mine up on a lift this afternoon and see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by xzjn9p
                          i thought when a CV joint went bad it was more of scraping noise too or sounds kind of like a bad bearing.

I'm putting mine up on a lift this afternoon and see what I can find.
                          Yeah, that's exactly what I said above that it sounds like. Either the click click sound when turning in that direction or the scraping sound. I've even described it as similar to a wheel bearing going bad on this forum or another website's forum. I guess it can sound like something else every long once in a while if the damage it developed is different from the usual damage or wear.

Comment

my cv is dying quick.... no more ralling for me. shredded my cv boots. ripped up before i could buy a new boot.

Comment

i thought i already posted this.. but anyway

got the car on the lift at work on friday. its the inboard CV joint. The boot is cracked all over the place and there is a generous ring of grease sprayed out concentric from the boot.

I guess its half-shaft replacement time. Any tips?

Comment

Working...
                              X