Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size headunits fit inside of the 1st gen protege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what size headunits fit inside of the 1st gen protege?

i'm getting a headunit soon and i just wondered which ones will fit inside the 1st gen protege spot. Are there known dimensions for the area and the mounting bolts that have to be followed when swapping radios out?

thanks for the help
    1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
    exhaust tip
    lx gauge cluster
    cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit
    kenwood 1660s 6.5" front speakers
    kicker DS60 6.5" rear speakers
    2 MTX Roadthunder 12" subs in custom sealed boxes
    Profile AP700M mono sub amp (350 watts RMS)

Originally posted by danielb927
    i'm getting a headunit soon and i just wondered which ones will fit inside the 1st gen protege spot. Are there known dimensions for the area and the mounting bolts that have to be followed when swapping radios out?

thanks for the help
    They all fit, including the double din units with little modification, but stick with a standard single din size, all single din head units are the same size,so take your pick. Also, go to crutchfield.com to size up components, their prices can be a little high, but it's a great resource to find what you want, and you can search by car.

Good luck.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

ok thanks, the only other question i have is how you hook up an aftermarket unit? circuit city made it sound like you havta buy 40 dollars of metra wiring harnesses and another 20 dollar tray thing, so if i dont get those is it still going to work?

i dont want to spend like 60 bucks for stuff i dont really need, but i dont want the new unit to look awkward in the dash either. thanks for the help so far
      1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
      exhaust tip
      lx gauge cluster
      cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit

Comment

ok thanks, the only other question i have is how you hook up an aftermarket unit? circuit city made it sound like you havta buy 40 dollars of metra wiring harnesses and another 20 dollar tray thing, so if i dont get those is it still going to work?

i dont want to spend like 60 bucks for stuff i dont really need, but i dont want the new unit to look awkward in the dash either. thanks for the help so far

Dang talk about mark up !! The wiring harness is made by Metra : part # 71-7901 price : $12.99 and the Dash kit is part # 99-7501 price : $19.99 also made by Metra.

If you pay more than this they are ripping you off. And by the way these are Circuit City prices I quoted from circuitcity.com

I would get them from here as they have the metal dash plate instead of the plastic crap.

http://www.crutchfield.com
        Last edited by purewhitemp5; 09-14-2006, 05:28 PM.
        c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

o yea i got pointed to crutchfield and lemme say i like it

do you need teh dash plate for an afermarket single din headunit?

thanks for the help i'll post pics but i'm probably putting some new kenwood 6.5's in the front first after seeing how mine looked
          1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
          exhaust tip
          lx gauge cluster
          cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit

Comment

o yea i got pointed to crutchfield and lemme say i like it

do you need teh dash plate for an afermarket single din headunit?

thanks for the help i'll post pics but i'm probably putting some new kenwood 6.5's in the front first after seeing how mine looked
            Yes you need the plate for the single Din HU
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

thanks guys this is gonna help a lot, i'll post pics when i get it in but it might not be for a while
              1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
              exhaust tip
              lx gauge cluster
              cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit

Comment

Working...
              X