Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bpd and g tranny swap questions

Here's the deal.
    As you've seen my pro is totalled. One of my options is to get an mx3 and drop the bpd in. I found a 2nd gen mx3 in good price. What concerns me is sth I remember about using the g series transmission on an mx-3. Will I use the axles of the pro?
    Will there be an issue with the tachometer or the speedometer?
    Thanks in advance.

the tach is electric so no issue, the speedo will be either electric or the same design as the Pro's, not sure how to make the electric one work. the axles do swap from the pro with no issues.
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

You just have to space out the electronic tach, shim it up if the tranny was previously cable driven.

Nothing like a fat washer and longer bolt can't fix.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
      Member of MX-3.com
      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your protege Bax.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Hey Shades thanks for the info.
          At first I did not realize what you meant but after I searched over mx-3.com I figured it out.
          So I will use the stock mx-3 speed sensor and put it in the hole that the mechanical cable was but 1/2 an inch off, right? I read also that I have to secure the spacer with the sensor and make it in a way that it will bolt to the tranny so it will be held securely. Am I correct?

D323 thanks for your condolences.

Comment

yeah bax thats it, wiring could be a prob though, we are having immense troubles with the harness not workin with the BP motor, 95MX3 harness 94BP motor and no power to the ECU, axles mounts and everything fall in no prob half inch shim we used aluminum and then bolt the speedo sensor in, same as the old cable one, hook it up and ur good to go

Comment

I'll swap the gtr harness along with the engine so I don't think it would be a problem.
              Nothing a cross reference in MX3 and Gtr wiring manual can't solve I guess.
              If you want any of these,or even the workshop manual of the protege, pm me so you can solve your problems.

Comment

Working...
              X