Yet another 5th gear swap post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another 5th gear swap post...

Sorry for the post but until recently I had the impression that the f series 5th gear could be swapped in a g series transmission like the 626 5th gear.It was also mentioned in the installation guide here http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears.html

I've read some posts regarding the swap here but was a bit confused because I read what bpt323 has written:

"there are 2 F gearboxes
    SOHC 323
    SOHC protege'
    make sure you know the difference... the 323 5th gear does not fit onto the shafts of the g series, well actually. only one of them fits."

I'll have an F series transmission from the mx3 ( 1.6 mx3s have f-series tranny right?). How should I be sure that I have the right f series transmission?
    Is the difference the F5m-r and the f25m-r?
    Is there a way I can find out without tearing apart the gearboxes and try to see if the gears fit?

I've downloaded the mx-3 manual that has the g25mr and f25mr transmission details and I also have the protege manual that has the g5mr and f5mr transmission details.
    In all of them, the specs are the same for the 5th gear which are in the following table.
    Attached Files

Comment

all i know is what i tested, couldn't tell ya about the mx3 tranny
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I would think that the mx3 uses the same gearbox as the 323. But that's just a guess do to they both use a 1.6L.
        Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

This site help? http://web2.iadfw.net/theman/protege...nsmission.html
          caution: iirc, some of the 323 G-type info is incorrect, but it's all pretty close.

Comment

Working...
          X