Stock springs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock springs...

Has anyone else cut your stock springs to lower it instead of buying new ones? If anyone has any info about this... (ride, how it looked, how much, etc...) it would be great.
    **SOLD**
    Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

I did...alot of people will tell you not to but it hasnt hurt anything yet...ive got like 3 inches and it actually rides decent...its no eibach ride but its not terrible...
    MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege
      I did...alot of people will tell you not to but it hasnt hurt anything yet...ive got like 3 inches and it actually rides decent...its no eibach ride but its not terrible...
      Did you do 3 inchs on both front and back? and how longo did u do this, any scraping or rubbing?
      **SOLD**
      Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

I did 3 in front and 3.25 on rear to level it out cause the back generally sits about a 1/4" higher...It rubs with big tires on my 16" wheels but i had 17"s with 205/40 tires and no rub...

I did this about 5 or 6 months ago...
        MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege
          I did 3 in front and 3.25 on rear to level it out cause the back generally sits about a 1/4" higher...It rubs with big tires on my 16" wheels but i had 17"s with 205/40 tires and no rub...

I did this about 5 or 6 months ago...
          Well im still gonna be rockin those 13's so it shouldnt rub. thanks for the help. i might do this.
          **SOLD**
          Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

no you wont rub i had 14" with the biggest tires ive ever seen on 14"s and it didnt rub...its really easy to do....just use a spring compressor so there is no force on the springs and start cutting then loosen the bolts on the pring compressors and it will slowly seat the springs back in the cups...
            MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

don't cut ur springs. there are a lot of things that are wrong with doing this, but i'm kind of lazy to type it all up, it messes the spring up and all that crap. i say just save up ur money and buy some springs from protegegarage
              Originally posted by 90prtege
              have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
              Originally posted by Turpro
              Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
              CRZbrussian: that sux
              CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
              CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

It's not good but as long as your springs don't fall out it'll be 'okay' until you do the right thing.

But B+G springs are like 300 bucks or less so might as well save yourself the headache and do it right.

Comment

theres really nothing dangerous about them....everyone says there is but when you ask them to xplain it to you they cant give a good reason....the only thing is it is a ghetto drop...
                  MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

I don't have time to get into this now as I'm at work but what your saying is misguiding and innacurate.

First-off, if you want the right answer to a mechanical engineering question you should ask and pay a mechanical engineer in your area instead of asking enthusiasts on a forum.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no engineer. However, the main reason why it's unsafe to cut springs is because a spring is made up of coiled material that is designed to distribute whatever load is placed upon it throughout all it's coils and compress accordingly. If you cut 2 of the 5 or 6 coils in the spring you have just reduced the total material responsible for withstanding the load by as much as 30%. How long is your new modified spring going to hold up to the same load? Every material has a tensile strength and yeild point so it is possible for the material in the spring to yeild or crack. Even under normal operating conditions, a spring can deform and droop or snap.

The point is whenever you cut a spring, you are compromising it's ability to do what it was designed to do. Our cars do have aftermarket springs available so there should be no issue. If someone wants to cut their springs for whatever reason, they are doing it at their own risk.
                    1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Not to be rude, but you're stating the obvious without elaborating where it counts.
                      The downside of cut springs is that you're more likely to bottom out because they're not stiff enough, and the ride will be weird because of the 'backyard engineering effect'.
                      But it's relatively safe, and will work, at least for a short while.

Comment

fwiw, generally, cutting 10% out of a spring raises it's spring rate by 10%...
                        but cutting springs usually doesn't make them stiff enough to keep you from bottoming out.

cutting a spring doesn't weaken it's tensile strength, that's determined by the material (spring steel) and wire diameter.
                        just don't cut the springs with a torch...

Comment

I never said anything about weakening the spring. What I said was that the spring now has less material to absorb the stress created by the load which remains the same. Otherwise, I completely agree with you about the yeild and tensile properties being a factor of material type and thickness.

In order for the coils in the spring to compress, the material has to twist. This twisting induces torsional stress and strain throughout the length of the material. Whenever a material is loaded by forces of greater magnitude than it can withstand, a permanent deformation or fracture will usually occur.

Anyhow, whatever. It's not my car.

There has to be someone on here that is qualified to set this straight. I would love to hear a pro's opinion about this as much as you. I still think it's less safe than just buying aftermarket springs and should be avoided. Not to mention the added wear on the car's chassis and other suspension parts from the compromised ride.
                          Last edited by Shaun32390; 10-17-2006, 06:03 PM.
                          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

my friend went to school to do suspension work and now works at a local 4x4 and lowrider shop and he told me that yes you have less spring to absorb but we dont exactly jump the cars. My car doesnt bottom out and infact it rides no different than this friend of mines mazda 6 with h&r springs. They both hop and neither bottom out...

Until some of you guys have done it i wouldnt advise not to do it. like when everyone says dont turbo a z5 and again these people have never done it they just hear it may not be a good outcome in the end...therefore they say dont do it...
                            MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Theres some guys in the other website that went with cut springs. I think they go rid or trying to seel the spring for cheap now because they experience weird ride and bottoming out. I was gonna do this before but I know its not worth that way and doing it the right way the first time makes everything worth while in the long run. Im using a RSR (JDM) spring, I know not all people knows abt it because they only sell this in Japan and its kinda pricey (with shipping). BUt I know that this spring wont give me any problem and its designed specifically for the car.

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X