My new pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new pistons

Well good news... my car will finally be ready to go pretty soon.. but I am worried about the pistons that I got. I got .040 overbored pistsons from a company called Viking Imports in Charlotte. My concern is when looking at the top of the piston it is raised in the middle a bit, compared to the stock pistons I have which are "dished" a little bit. I supposed I need to call the company to see what kind of compression they will make, because I don't think I want to raise the compression all that much. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
    -Robert
    '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

find out the compression ratio. for sure.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

raised pistons have more compression than dished pistons..if u have turbo, i don't think that u want to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by zorlac7
        raised pistons have more compression than dished pistons..
        i'm sure most people are aware of this, but thank you for stating it. (no sarcasim), but domed pistons also have potential issues with valve clearances.
        if u have turbo, i don't think that u want to put it.
        This all depends on the overal compression ratio, the strength of the block. the higher your compression the more efficent your engine; this is something some people take into acount.
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

valve clearance is important point too..but i think that if they are oem pistons..they shouldn't have problems.

Comment

dohc pistons with a bp01 head (sohc) i have heard that valve clearance is something to watch. dome'ing the pistons could prove to be a problem
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by zorlac7
              raised pistons have more compression than dished pistons..if u have turbo, i don't think that u want to put it.
              depends on the wrist pin height.
              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
              -93 MR2, 129 ES
              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                dohc pistons with a bp01 head (sohc) i have heard that valve clearance is something to watch. dome'ing the pistons could prove to be a problem
                ohhh..it's a single cam head..well..u have to check the clearance because the pistons and more if it's raised, should be a little more higher than sohc pistons.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had internet access in weeks so I'm just now reading them all. The car is running now... with those pistons, and seems to be fine at the moment. Still a few things to work out though.
                  -Robert

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Did you ever find out the compression ?
                    -------------------------
                    '91 LX
                    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                      Did you ever find out the compression ?
                      My dad thinks it bumped it up .5 to a 9.5 compression ratio. Of course we're not positive though.
                      -Robert

Comment

how much did those pistons run you ...
                        I want to run the miata pistons in the 323 .. but considering forged in the protege
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                          how much did those pistons run you ...
                          I want to run the miata pistons in the 323 .. but considering forged in the protege
                          The pistons and rings cost about $200. They're not forged they are oem material.. cast iron I guess.
                          -Robert

Comment

how much compression can you bump to with a gtx turbo on there?
                            I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

Originally posted by ImportDragn311
                              how much compression can you bump to with a gtx turbo on there?
                              I'd say it's all in the tuning, but I prob. wouldn't go above 10:1.
                              -Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X