Uh oh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oh!

Its making a bad ticking noise!!! I was on my way to home depot and I got on it in third fairly easy and it broke up and I let off and the BAM! loud backfire. The it stared ticking loud. I was hopeing it was just a lifter because I was still able to drive and my vac readings were still fine. Get home and remove t-belt sping over both cams one at a time and they both turn fine. Turn the crank and right as it gets to TDC it locks up and I cant spin it anymore. I was able to still drive it so Im not sure yet what it is maybe a broken ring or sumthing. Figures I just ordered a new radiator for it too because it was leaking.
    hello 4g63 nice to meet you

**** - not another one fallen! Let us know what you find out. Also maybe the engine was building compression and that's why you couldn't spin it anymore near TDC. If the valves were all closed then this was probably the case.

I just bought a koyo rad for mine too and Im selling it for a good price since I found a better used deal .... go figure.
    Last edited by Lex; 11-01-2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

That sucks man, hopefully it isn't something big.

Comment

I think a rod bent slightly, i had the SP's out when turning by hand. Deff sucks

Comment

or a spun bearing?

Comment

collapsed lifter? common problem with the GTX and early Miata.
            hold rpm's between 2-3k for 10-20 minutes and see if the lifter "pumps up".

Comment

Originally posted by gtx510 View Post
              collapsed lifter? common problem with the GTX and early Miata.
              hold rpm's between 2-3k for 10-20 minutes and see if the lifter "pumps up".
              cant be a lifter. I removed T-belt and turned crank over by hand and It will not go past TDC in either direction. Its most likely a bent rod. I was hoping it was a lifter but it's deff not. It sounded like a deisel.

Comment

were you pushing a lot of boost? From the backfire it sounds like detonation

Comment

i dont think so..I was letting the rpms climb very slow and easy. Then it started breaking up let off and it backfired. I was maybe 10 psi if that. I have a spare set of rod laying around I may just toss one in for the mean time so I have a car. The engine I'm building isnt done yet and I need a car for the winter. I just hope the cyl wall didnt get damaged.

Comment

live by my rules man................"if its broken upgrade!" that sucks man. i know what its like to pop a motor. i had deto once crush a plug and i was scared but it ended up being fine in the long run.

NEUMAN

Comment

time to start pulling the pan....
                      can you see the top of the pistons thru the plug holes? how do they look?
                      pulled valve cover? dropped valve? no likely...

Comment

im on vaca next week so I will pull it apart. Im 99% sure I bent a rod sligtly. If thats the case I'm just going to toss in another spare rod I have untill the other engine is ready. Budget repair lol. Ill keep you guys posted.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Bump for updates

Comment

Ouch!

#2 rod
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...