replaced timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced timing belt

well, i got lucky. my car had been making some weird noises lately, so last week my dad and i took off the timing belt cover, and couldn't believe what we saw. the pics are insane, although not the best quality, it's a camera phone. so we take the cover off, and this is what we see..

this is the piece we pulled off the sprockets...

so here's what happened, there was a bolt that came loose, this is what it should look like...

but instead it we saw this...

that bolt came loose somehow, and got kicked up into the timing belt cover(in the corner)...

and here it is sticking out the other side...

so that bolt came loose, got kicked up into the cover, and rode on the belt, eventually shredding a huge chunk off. i'm glad i caught it in time, the belt was still intact, even though it was about half as wide as it should be. if that would have snapped, it wouldn't have been good, even though it's a non-interference motor. i can barely afford to fix it right now, i sure as hell wouldn't have been able to if i was driving and had to have it towed somewhere. but i did the belt with my dad so i got by kinda cheap. finished the timing belt last nite, and now it's runs great. just thought i'd share some crazy pics.
    '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
    18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

Damn, thats crazy. How hard was it to change that and how long did it take?
    Eat ****.

Comment

Yo! I think superdave had a similar experience!!!
      My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
      - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
        Yo! I think superdave had a similar experience!!!
        The same thing happened to me! My car was making a chugging noise after an autocross and I determined it was coming from the front of the engine. When I took things appart I found the belt with huge chunks missing, and a bolt that was bent and melted into one of the top corners of the cover.

91ProtegeLX: With trouble shooting and fixing... I believe it took me under 3 hours with a bicycle trip to the parts store (for a new timing belt).
        -Dave

Comment

wow, 3 hours is great superdave. you used power tools ?
          Current Cars
          94 DX, 97 Corolla
          Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

Comment

Originally posted by ali vegas
            wow, 3 hours is great superdave. you used power tools ?
            Nope. That includes making a tool to take the crank pulley off aswell.
            -Dave

Comment

i didn't think it was too bad either. but it took me a while to finish it because i had to order a new cover, new gaskets, and between work, school, and my surgery, i didnt have much time. but now she's back on the roads, lookin for a ricer to kill, oh yes, she's hungry
              '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
              18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

Comment

Holy **** dude, thats crazy!
                2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

What do you recommend when changing the timing belt? like timing belt of course, water pump? cam/crank seals? tensioner/spring? thermostat if any ? anything that must do at the same time??... please give me advice.... My protege is about 110k now and I don't want to risk it. I don't have air too either but I can manage to unbolt and spec torque.

TIA

Comment

suggestion please..

what do you recommend to change beside the timing belt?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Protege99
                      What do you recommend when changing the timing belt? like timing belt of course, water pump? cam/crank seals? tensioner/spring? thermostat if any ? anything that must do at the same time??... please give me advice.... My protege is about 110k now and I don't want to risk it. I don't have air too either but I can manage to unbolt and spec torque.

TIA
                      Welcome to Club Protege.

If you have a '99 Protege, there is a section made just for you:

As far as what to change when replacing the timing belt, replace the belt, tensioner and idler pullies, any springs and hardware.

They should sell a timing belt kit for your car that includes everything you need.

While you're in there, it would be a good time to replace the waterpump.

If your camshaft or crankshaft seals are leaking, this would also be a good time to replace those as well.

Comment

Hey Jho, thank you very much for the info page... I was looking for that right year/gen page but confused a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Protege99
                          Hey Jho, thank you very much for the info page... I was looking for that right year/gen page but confused a little bit.

You're welcome.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                          X